US: Delia's optimistic despite widening Q4 loss
- Q4 loss of US$17.8m
- Gross margin narrows to 7.6%
- Sales fall 34.3%
Teen apparel retailer Delia's said it has made "tangible progress" in executing on key initiatives despite having booked a drop in sales a widening of losses in its fourth-quarter.
Loss from continuing operations amounted to US$17.8m in the three months ended 1 February as the sluggish retail environment impacted business performance. This compared to a loss of $11.1m in the year ago quarter.
Consolidated gross margin narrowed to 7.6% from 29.6% last year, primarily due to lower merchandise margins in connection with clearing legacy product as well as the deleveraging of occupancy costs.
Total sales were down 34.3% to $35.3m, with revenues from the group's retail segment dropping 33.5% to $21.9m. Comparable store sales fell 26.9%.
CEO Tracy Gardner said: "While we are not pleased with our fourth quarter financial results, we believe that we have made tangible progress in executing on key initiatives that will set the stage for improved and more consistent financial performance. Our newly assembled and talented team is working to achieve our vision for Delia's."
- Impact of the TPP on the US textile industry?
- JC Penney emphasises new merchandising strategy
- Crystal Group nurtures its caring culture
- Hazardous chemical removal a key industry issue
- Apparel industry not immune from Russia tensions
- Cambodia garment workers “dying on the job”
- Vietnam proposes 15% rise to regional minimum wage
- Avery Dennison forms JV with Ningbo Shenzhou
- Nike appointments to drive growth opportunities
- Cotton prices set to slip on China policy change
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey