US: Delia's optimistic despite widening Q4 loss
- Q4 loss of US$17.8m
- Gross margin narrows to 7.6%
- Sales fall 34.3%
Teen apparel retailer Delia's said it has made "tangible progress" in executing on key initiatives despite having booked a drop in sales a widening of losses in its fourth-quarter.
Loss from continuing operations amounted to US$17.8m in the three months ended 1 February as the sluggish retail environment impacted business performance. This compared to a loss of $11.1m in the year ago quarter.
Consolidated gross margin narrowed to 7.6% from 29.6% last year, primarily due to lower merchandise margins in connection with clearing legacy product as well as the deleveraging of occupancy costs.
Total sales were down 34.3% to $35.3m, with revenues from the group's retail segment dropping 33.5% to $21.9m. Comparable store sales fell 26.9%.
CEO Tracy Gardner said: "While we are not pleased with our fourth quarter financial results, we believe that we have made tangible progress in executing on key initiatives that will set the stage for improved and more consistent financial performance. Our newly assembled and talented team is working to achieve our vision for Delia's."
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- INTERVIEW: David Nieper pushes Made in UK momentum
- VF Corp bullish for second-half growth
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- ILO backs Burma project to improve work practices
- UN rights expert urges further Cambodia reforms
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies