US: Delia's Q3 loss narrows after sales increase
- Q3 loss narrowed to $2m
- Revenue fell 4% to $55.7m
- Gross margin rose to 33.9%
Teen apparel retailer Delia's Inc seen its third-quarter net losses narrow because of increased store sales and improved margins.
Net loss narrowed to US$2m for the quarter to 27 October, compared to a $4.4m loss the same period last year.
Revenue slipped 4% to $55.7m compared to $58.1m the prior year, while comparable store sales rose 2.4%. Retail revenue edged down 2.8% to $35.2m due to a reduction in store count, while revenue from the direct business fell 6.1% to $20.6m after catalogue sales declined 14.4%.
Gross margin increased to 33.9% compared to 32.3% the prior year.
CEO Walter Killough said: "We achieved our third consecutive quarter of positive comparable store sales and merchandise margin improvement for the retail segment. While we were pleased with the results of our back-to-school season, our sales trends slowed in late September and October."
Delia's added that Hurricane Sandy had a "significant effect" on both of its divisions but said it will have a minimal impact on fourth quarter results.
"Subsequent to the storm, sales trends improved, and we have been pleased with the strong response to our holiday assortment in both our Delia's retail and direct businesses," Killough added.
"We believe that we are well-positioned with compelling merchandise, timely inventory flow and a strong marketing program in place, and remain on track to deliver improved sales and margins as we continue to execute on our strategic initiatives."
Teen apparel retailer Delia's Inc has seen its fourth-quarter losses widen after it was hit by slower demand. ...
Specialty athletic retailer Foot Locker Inc is to close its 22 underperforming CCS skatewear stores and focus solely on the banner's online business....
- The current state of play in world garment exports
- Fung Capital helps PLM firm expand into Asia
- Africa courts clothing and textile investment
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Bangladesh Accord calls on firms for more funding
- Adidas investigating Cambodia faintings
- Footwear “facing increased compliance challenges"
- Matalan defends its position on Bangladesh
- Arrests made at US REI/North Face protests
- North Face commits to 100% recycled polyester
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report