US: Delta Apparel posts 73% Q2 profit dive
Clothing producer Delta Apparel reported a 73% slump in second-quarter profit but reaffirmed its expectations for the full year.
The quarterly slide to US$633,000 was driven by increased raw material costs which eroded margins.
Revenue, however, grew 26.4% to $72.9m from $57.7m a year ago. This growth was helped by the recent purchase of FunTees as well as a good performance at the Soffe unit. The Delta catalogue and Junkfood business suffered from lower sales.
President and CEO Robert W Humphreys said: "As we discussed in early January, we did not achieve our plan for the second quarter as a weaker-than-expected retail environment reduced customer reorders at Junkfood and impacted the sales volume in our active wear business."
Delta forecasts earnings of between $1.33 and $1.46 per share for the full year plus revenue of $315m to $330m.
For the third quarter, the company foresees a profit of 31 cents to 35 cents per share plus a sales rise of 21% to 27% to between $84m and $88m.
Humphreys said the company believes FunTees will add to the performance of the active wear segment during the second half.
"Our manufacturing operations are focused on continued cost savings and completing the FunTees manufacturing integration," he added.
"The lower-cost structure associated with offshore textiles should improve our profitability and lower working capital requirements. We believe these initiatives will provide us with a strong platform for sales and profitability growth in the future."
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
T-shirt and activewear maker Delta Apparel Inc is to close its manufacturing facility in Fayette, Alabama with the loss of 110 jobs, and shift some production to Honduras....
Third quarter profit at T-shirt and sweatshirt maker Delta Apparel Inc edged up by 4% as sales at FunTees and Soffe were offset by lower demand in the Delta catalogue and Junkfood businesses....
Activewear apparel firm Delta Apparel is expecting second-quarter revenues to be approximately $72 to $73m versus its prior expectation of $74 to $78m....
Delta Apparel Inc today (7 November) posted a 35% slump in first quarter profit, hurt by lower sales in its Junkfood business and higher raw material prices....
Garment maker Delta Apparel has lowered its outlook for the first quarter after the Junkfood and Delta businesses turned in worse-than-expected revenues....
Garment producer Delta Apparel has closed its US$20m purchase of Fun-Tees, according to a Securities and Exchange Commission filing....
Garment firm Delta Apparel has announced plans for an offshore manufacturing unit, and has also reported record full-year sales and earnings....
Garment firm Delta Apparel is to buy privately held T-shirt firm Fun-Tees for US$20m, boosting its active wear sales by about $70m....
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Four steps to reduce product defects
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- Adidas raises the bar for North America sales
- H&M, VF Corp and Levi among most ethical companies
- US Q4 in brief – Destination XL Group, Caleres
- PVH Corp to acquire e-commerce retailer True&Co
- Vietnam limits hazardous chemicals in apparel
- Target unveils "ambitious" store re-design plans
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective