US: Delta Apparel swings to Q1 net loss
Delta experienced strong sales growth in its Salt Life business
US clothing company Delta Apparel has postponed confirming or updating its full-year guidance after moving to a net loss in its first-quarter.
Lower sales coupled with higher costs pushed Delta Apparel to a net loss of US$1.6m in the three months ended 28 December. This compared to earnings of $46,000 in the prior year period.
Net sales also dropped, falling 6.4% to $100m versus $106.8m last year. Continued strong sales growth in the firm's Salt Life and Art Gun businesses offset a decline at Soffe as well as lower sales in its Junkfood and The Game divisions.
"We have many reasons to be optimistic about our business, but we believe our optimism must be tempered by certain risks that are in the marketplace," said chairman and CEO Robert Humphreys.
"In recent weeks, speculation in commodities markets has caused cotton prices to rise significantly. It is still too soon to know if selling prices will reflect these higher raw material costs or what the potential impact on unit volumes may be."
As a result, the company said it expects to be in a better position when it reports its quarter results, to either confirm or update its guidance for the fiscal year ending 27 September.
Apparel & Non-Apparel Manufacturing in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018...
- George at Asda on responsible retail journey
- New American Apparel CEO sees solid platform
- Outlook 2015: What's happening with sourcing?
- Connected sourcing networks ease payment problems
- Outlook 2015: Challenges and opportunities
- Talks underway on Myanmar minimum wage
- Fashion brands facing strong dollar “headwind”
- Tommy Hilfiger digital showroom to reduce samples
- EU exploring responsible garment supply chains
- C&A to boost opportunities for women in India
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead