Denim and sneakers top US teen spending
Teenagers are snapping up denim and sneakers
Denim and sneakers are the top items being snapped up by upper-income teens in the US, a new survey has found, even though total spending across the age group is down on last year.
Total spend for the autumn period is up 2.5% year-on-year among upper-income teens, according to Piper Jaffray's 32nd semi-annual 'Taking Stock With Teens' research survey. The results highlight spending trends and brand preferences amongst 10,000 teens across 46 US states.
Historically, Piper Jaffray said results from its upper-income survey set tends to lead overall spending. It found denim brands saw an uptick to 19% aggregated mindshare and showed up as a top trend among upper-income females for the second consecutive survey in a row.
Also among upper-income teens, fashion athletic apparel is still on the rise, with a new high of 35% share achieved and Nike, Adidas and Under Armour all gaining share.
"While total spending among the teen demographic appears to be down slightly versus last year, we are encouraged that the upper-income teenagers in our survey are indicating more optimism and positive spending trends," said Neely Tamminga, Piper Jaffray senior research analyst. "This increase in spending among upper-income teens seems to be largely broad-based across fashion and beauty."
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Investment continues in Ethiopia clothing sector
- Is China losing its edge as a US apparel supplier?
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Start-ups chosen to re-think fashion industry
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report