WORLD: Department store market set for 22% surge
Sales in department stores around the world are set to rise by 22% over the next five years, fuelled by growth in China, according to a new report.
Verdict’s “Global Department Store Retailing” report predicts that China will account for almost half of the forecast US$100bn incremental spend over that period, with sales in the country rising 38.1%.
By 2019, about 30% of the world’s department store sales will come from China, thanks to rising affluence, increasing urbanisation and expansion opportunities, Verdict said.
“There are extensive growth opportunities in China,” said Verdict analyst Kate Ormrod.
“However, as overheads such as labour costs rise, we expect less profitable and weaker players to fall out of the market.
“Remaining players must further differentiate their offers through greater use of private label ranges, investment in in-store environment and brand exclusives to drive footfall and sales.”
Among the world’s 12 leading department store companies, only Macy’s and Nordstrom have increased their market share over the past five years, Verdict added.
Ormrod said Sears had “lost relevance” in the US, sending its global market share down 2.5%, while JC Penney’s radical overhaul had led to its market share more than halving to 2.4%.
By contrast, Macy’s, which overtook Sears in 2012, is forecast to have a 6.4% market share by the end of this year.
Introduction Menswear in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). ......
Apparel Retail in United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile...
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the global apparel industry in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; corporate so...
Inspection, testing and certification company SCS Global Services (SCS) has joined the Sustainable Apparel Coalition (SAC), and will promote its Higg Index sustainability measurement tool to help driv...
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the home textile industry in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; corporate soci...
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- Retailers warned of high volatility in Brexit wake
- Brexit uncertainty over pending EU trade deals
- Online fabric platform to "revolutionise" buying
- Uniqlo said to be scaling back US expansion
- Better Work Vietnam launches labour law mobile app
- UK must act with urgency to cut Brexit uncertainty
- Under Armour opens manufacturing innovation hub
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Denmark
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts