WORLD: Department store market set for 22% surge
Sales in department stores around the world are set to rise by 22% over the next five years, fuelled by growth in China, according to a new report.
Verdict’s “Global Department Store Retailing” report predicts that China will account for almost half of the forecast US$100bn incremental spend over that period, with sales in the country rising 38.1%.
By 2019, about 30% of the world’s department store sales will come from China, thanks to rising affluence, increasing urbanisation and expansion opportunities, Verdict said.
“There are extensive growth opportunities in China,” said Verdict analyst Kate Ormrod.
“However, as overheads such as labour costs rise, we expect less profitable and weaker players to fall out of the market.
“Remaining players must further differentiate their offers through greater use of private label ranges, investment in in-store environment and brand exclusives to drive footfall and sales.”
Among the world’s 12 leading department store companies, only Macy’s and Nordstrom have increased their market share over the past five years, Verdict added.
Ormrod said Sears had “lost relevance” in the US, sending its global market share down 2.5%, while JC Penney’s radical overhaul had led to its market share more than halving to 2.4%.
By contrast, Macy’s, which overtook Sears in 2012, is forecast to have a 6.4% market share by the end of this year.
Nordstrom, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offering...
After years of struggling sales, department store retailer JC Penney appointed Ron Johnson as its CEO in 2011, ushering in a new period of dramatic changes. With new management, a new logo, new spokes...
With a large population and high income per head, demand for apparel in the USA is huge -- amounting to nearly US$300 bn during 2012. This has facilitated sustained growth of a number of giant retaile...
Introduction Womenswear in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018)......
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Tesco's H1 profit plunge: What the analysts say
- Asos FY profit drop: What the analysts say
- Mango continues on global growth trajectory
- Cambodia clothing factory collapse injures eight
- H&M and The North Face commit to responsible down
- Adidas "Reebok sale" would be admittance of defeat
- Collapsed Cambodia factory had structural issues
- Transparency boosts Cambodia factory improvements
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre