INDIA: Designer wear “set for boom”
The designer wear business in India is set to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 40%, hitting INR110bn (US2.26bn) by 2020, according to a leading industry body.
The Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM) made the claim in a new report, Trends in Indian Designer Wear Industry. The current value of the industry is reckoned to be about INR7.2bn, the report said.
“The designer wear industry in India is driven by higher disposable incomes, leading to rising purchasing power, emergence of mall culture, changing sense of style, dressing and growing fashion consciousness among urbanites,” said D S Rawat, secretary general of ASSOCHAM.
“A huge growth potential is foreseen in the market as more and more people are buying branded products and apparels, and exhibit a strong desire for individuality in their self-expression as dressing has become one of the important aspects of one’s identity and overall personality.”
The report says that the global designer wear industry is poised to grow at a CAGR of about 12% over the same timescale, reaching INR6.1trn by 2020.
India’s share of the industry is currently reckoned to be only 0.32%, but the report predicts that this will rise to 1.7% by 2020.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report