US: Destination Maternity Q1 sales slide, adjusts FY guidance
Destination Maternity has booked a drop in first-quarter sales and adjusted its full-year earnings guidance to the lower end of its previous forecast.
The US maternity retailer saw sales slip to US$134.8m in the three months to the end of December, coming in at the lower end of its guidance range. This was a 0.3% drop on $135.3m reported in the prior year period.
The company blamed a comparable sales increase of 0.7%, which was also below the lower end of its guidance for an increase of between 1% to 4%. Nonetheless, it was the firm's sixth consecutive quarter of comparable sales increases, it added.
"In the first quarter of fiscal 2014, our sales were slightly weaker than planned, reflecting the continued challenging overall economic environment which affected many retailers in the recent holiday shopping season," said CEO Ed Krell.
Sales were also affected by the company's continued efforts to close underperforming stores, it added.
Destination Maternity expects its first quarter fiscal 2014 earnings to be in the lower half of its prior earnings guidance range and to be "somewhat higher" than last year's first quarter earnings, which were up 70% to $3.8m.
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Women's and Girls' Clothing in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Women's and Girls' Dresses, Women's and Girls' Suits & Coats, Women's and G...
Destination Maternity has blamed adverse weather and challenging economic conditions for a 45.8% decline in second-quarter profit....
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Outdoor industry's future must be more inclusive
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Who has signed the Bangladesh safety accord?
- Adidas "Reebok sale" would be admittance of defeat
- H&M and The North Face commit to responsible down
- Bangladesh taps factory inspectors ahead of review
- Coats to open new zip factory in Bangladesh
- Cambodia clothing factory collapse injures eight
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam