US: Destination Maternity reports Q1 profit rise
- Q1 profit rises 11% to $4.3m
- Sales down 0.3% to $134.8m
- Comparable store sales up 0.7%
Destination Maternity has booked an 11% increase in first-quarter net profit, despite lower sales in what the company described as a difficult retail environment.
The US maternity wear retailer today (30 January) said net income reached US$4.3m for the three months to 31 December, compared to $3.8m in the same period of the prior year.
Sales, however, came in below company expectations by slipping 0.3% to $134.8m from $135.3m, after efforts to close underperforming stores offset a 0.7% comparable store sales increase.
CEO Ed Krell said: "Our sales for the quarter were somewhat weaker than planned, reflecting the continued challenging overall economic environment which affected many retailers in the recent holiday shopping season.
"Although our sales for the quarter were slightly below the low end of our expected sales range, it represents our sixth consecutive quarter of achieving a comparable sales increase, showing the continued progress we have made with our sales initiatives, while maintaining strong operational and expense discipline."
Destination Maternity expects full-year earnings per share to range from $1.61 to $1.79, compared to $1.78 in 2013.
Sales are expected to reach $539-$550m, up on last year's $540.3m, while comparable store sales are forecast to increase between 1% and 3%.
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- Sustainable fibres, finishes and processes at ITMA
- Freeing up working capital in the supply chain
- Five ways to tackle market and demand volatility
- Uniqlo under fire again for China worker abuses
- German sustainable textile scheme heads to Vietnam
- 3D tool uses product data to shake up shopping
- Fast Retailing in deal for laser treated garments
- PETA calls for wool boycott on “gruesome” exposé
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Trade and Trade Policy: The World’s Leading Clothing Exporters and Key Markets 2015