USA: Disappointing First Quarter For Bebe Stores
First quarter sales for bebe stores Inc (NASDAQ:BEBE) failed to meet expectations, but the company is confident it has made positive steps to rectify the situation in time for the holiday season. Net sales for the first quarter of fiscal 2001 were $62.0 million, up 9.5% from $56.6 million reported for the first quarter a year ago. As previously reported, same store sales for the quarter decreased by 12.2% compared to the corresponding period of the prior year. Net earnings for the first quarter were $5.8 million, compared to $7.5 million in the same period a year ago. Diluted earnings per share for the first quarter were $0.23 versus $0.30 in the same period a year ago."Although this quarter did not meet my expectations, we did make progress," said Manny Mashouf, president and chief executive officer. "We focused on disposing of prior season goods and broadening our product assortment. We have made positive steps in both of these areas and look forward to the coming holiday season."bebe designs, develops and produces a distinctive line of contemporary women's apparel and accessories, which it markets under the bebe, bbsp and bebe moda brand names. After opening eleven stores in the September quarter, bebe currently operates 134 stores in the United States, the UK, Canada and an online store at www.bebe.com
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report