USA: Disappointing First Quarter For Bebe Stores
First quarter sales for bebe stores Inc (NASDAQ:BEBE) failed to meet expectations, but the company is confident it has made positive steps to rectify the situation in time for the holiday season. Net sales for the first quarter of fiscal 2001 were $62.0 million, up 9.5% from $56.6 million reported for the first quarter a year ago. As previously reported, same store sales for the quarter decreased by 12.2% compared to the corresponding period of the prior year. Net earnings for the first quarter were $5.8 million, compared to $7.5 million in the same period a year ago. Diluted earnings per share for the first quarter were $0.23 versus $0.30 in the same period a year ago."Although this quarter did not meet my expectations, we did make progress," said Manny Mashouf, president and chief executive officer. "We focused on disposing of prior season goods and broadening our product assortment. We have made positive steps in both of these areas and look forward to the coming holiday season."bebe designs, develops and produces a distinctive line of contemporary women's apparel and accessories, which it markets under the bebe, bbsp and bebe moda brand names. After opening eleven stores in the September quarter, bebe currently operates 134 stores in the United States, the UK, Canada and an online store at www.bebe.com
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Bagir CEO says suit-maker is back on track
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Fruit of the Loom CEO Medlin dies suddenly
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Crystal expands empowerment project to male staff
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack