US: Distribution centre weighs on American Apparel FY
- FY sales up 3%
- Comparable sales climb 3%
- FY EBITDA to be in range of $7-9m
American Apparel faced challenges with its new distribution centre
Basic clothing retailer American Apparel Inc has recorded an increase in full-year sales but expects 2013 adjusted EBITDA to plummet as costs related to its new distribution centre weigh on earnings.
Sales in the 12 month period climbed 3% to US$634m, while comparable store sales, including online sales, also rose 3%.
The company, however, said it expects adjusted EBITDA for the year to the end of December to be between $7m to $9m as compared to $36.6m last year.
"The challenged implementation of our new distribution centre had a material negative impact on the company in terms of actual costs (estimated at $14.9m)," said CEO Dov Charney.
"Naturally, the disrupted flow of merchandise to our stores, wholesale clients, and online customers had an immediate negative impact on sales."
The company said it expects 2014 sales and costs, however, to be enhanced by the operation of the La Mirada facility.
"Although this was a painful and costly endeavour it was necessary in order for us to achieve the future productivity and growth potential associated with the American Apparel brand," Charney said.
For fiscal 2014, American Apparel is projecting sales between $634m and $658m based upon a flat to 4% overall increase in net sales. Adjusted EBITDA is estimated in the range of $40m to $50m.
Canadean's "American Apparel Inc. - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major products and...
Apparel & Non-Apparel Manufacturing in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Swimwear and Beachwear both in Million Units and US$ Million by the following Product Categories: Men's Wear, Women's Wear, and Children's Wear. The rep...
Plimsoll’s Clothing Retailers (Global) analysis is the most definitive and accurate study of the Clothing Retailers (Global) sector in 2013. The report is split into two sections and uses both a writ...
- TPP trade pact in milestone signing by 12 nations
- Cheap polyester contributes to cotton import shift
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- Combating the new normal – 10 trends for 2016
- Under Armour defends questions over strategy
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- China factory activity continues to deteriorate
- Southeast Asia – a strategic sourcing review
- H&M and Primark price rivalry reaches equilibrium
- PVH to take control of Tommy Hilfiger China unit
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024