US: Distribution centre weighs on American Apparel FY
- FY sales up 3%
- Comparable sales climb 3%
- FY EBITDA to be in range of $7-9m
American Apparel faced challenges with its new distribution centre
Basic clothing retailer American Apparel Inc has recorded an increase in full-year sales but expects 2013 adjusted EBITDA to plummet as costs related to its new distribution centre weigh on earnings.
Sales in the 12 month period climbed 3% to US$634m, while comparable store sales, including online sales, also rose 3%.
The company, however, said it expects adjusted EBITDA for the year to the end of December to be between $7m to $9m as compared to $36.6m last year.
"The challenged implementation of our new distribution centre had a material negative impact on the company in terms of actual costs (estimated at $14.9m)," said CEO Dov Charney.
"Naturally, the disrupted flow of merchandise to our stores, wholesale clients, and online customers had an immediate negative impact on sales."
The company said it expects 2014 sales and costs, however, to be enhanced by the operation of the La Mirada facility.
"Although this was a painful and costly endeavour it was necessary in order for us to achieve the future productivity and growth potential associated with the American Apparel brand," Charney said.
For fiscal 2014, American Apparel is projecting sales between $634m and $658m based upon a flat to 4% overall increase in net sales. Adjusted EBITDA is estimated in the range of $40m to $50m.
Canadean's "American Apparel Inc. - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major products and...
American Apparel is a retailer and domestic manufacturer of logo-free outerwear and underwear for men, women and children. The company aims to become a leading producer of fashionable, edgy “basics” m...
Apparel & Non-Apparel Manufacturing in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018...
Whilst increasing input costs put upwards pressure on prices, other factors, such as the intense competition and bargain-hunting shoppers, pulled prices down. Apparel marketers continued to struggle t...
- New American Apparel CEO sees solid platform
- George at Asda on responsible retail journey
- Outlook 2015: What's happening with sourcing?
- Outlook 2015: Challenges and opportunities
- Outlook 2015: What keeps you awake at night?
- EU exploring responsible garment supply chains
- Tommy Hilfiger digital showroom to reduce samples
- Fashion brands facing strong dollar “headwind”
- Adidas sells Rockport for $280m to focus on sports
- C&A to boost opportunities for women in India
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead