UK: Doc Martens Manufacturer Slashes Workforce
The makers of Dr Martens shoes, R Griggs, announced on Friday that they are to close six of their ten factories. Griggs has estimated the job losses to be in the region of up to 350, out of a total workforce of 2,450. The changes are to allow the company to alter its working practices, introducing 'cellular' manufacturing based around small groups of personnel each carrying out a variety of jobs.The six closures are all in Northamptonshire, leaving two factories in that county, one in Leicestershire and one in Somerset.Griggs claimed: "In a very competitive marketplace, prospects for the brand remain healthy," but that following a comprehensive review of manufacturing processes, the company is unable to transfer production from traditional track methods to modern practices, working in teams. This method requires less space and less people.The factories destined for closure are based in Wollaston, Kettering, Irchester, Irthlingborough and Finedon.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Where next for Corporate Human Rights Benchmark?
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- US Q4 in brief – Finish Line, Oxford Industries
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- World Bank commits $57bn to sub-Saharan Africa
- Target unveils "ambitious" store re-design plans
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective