UK: Doc Martens Manufacturer Slashes Workforce
The makers of Dr Martens shoes, R Griggs, announced on Friday that they are to close six of their ten factories. Griggs has estimated the job losses to be in the region of up to 350, out of a total workforce of 2,450. The changes are to allow the company to alter its working practices, introducing 'cellular' manufacturing based around small groups of personnel each carrying out a variety of jobs.The six closures are all in Northamptonshire, leaving two factories in that county, one in Leicestershire and one in Somerset.Griggs claimed: "In a very competitive marketplace, prospects for the brand remain healthy," but that following a comprehensive review of manufacturing processes, the company is unable to transfer production from traditional track methods to modern practices, working in teams. This method requires less space and less people.The factories destined for closure are based in Wollaston, Kettering, Irchester, Irthlingborough and Finedon.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Brandix rolls out Tukatech systems
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar