UK: Doc Martens Manufacturer Slashes Workforce
The makers of Dr Martens shoes, R Griggs, announced on Friday that they are to close six of their ten factories. Griggs has estimated the job losses to be in the region of up to 350, out of a total workforce of 2,450. The changes are to allow the company to alter its working practices, introducing 'cellular' manufacturing based around small groups of personnel each carrying out a variety of jobs.The six closures are all in Northamptonshire, leaving two factories in that county, one in Leicestershire and one in Somerset.Griggs claimed: "In a very competitive marketplace, prospects for the brand remain healthy," but that following a comprehensive review of manufacturing processes, the company is unable to transfer production from traditional track methods to modern practices, working in teams. This method requires less space and less people.The factories destined for closure are based in Wollaston, Kettering, Irchester, Irthlingborough and Finedon.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022