UK: Doc Martens Manufacturer Slashes Workforce
The makers of Dr Martens shoes, R Griggs, announced on Friday that they are to close six of their ten factories. Griggs has estimated the job losses to be in the region of up to 350, out of a total workforce of 2,450. The changes are to allow the company to alter its working practices, introducing 'cellular' manufacturing based around small groups of personnel each carrying out a variety of jobs.The six closures are all in Northamptonshire, leaving two factories in that county, one in Leicestershire and one in Somerset.Griggs claimed: "In a very competitive marketplace, prospects for the brand remain healthy," but that following a comprehensive review of manufacturing processes, the company is unable to transfer production from traditional track methods to modern practices, working in teams. This method requires less space and less people.The factories destined for closure are based in Wollaston, Kettering, Irchester, Irthlingborough and Finedon.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020