US: Dress Barn Q4 underlying profit up 14%
- Q4 sales up 4% to US$398.9m
- Q4 underlying profit up 14% to $25.2m
- Tween Brands deal should close by end of year
Cut-price apparel retailer Dress Barn posted a 14% increase in underlying fourth quarter profits to US$25.2m, thanks to a 4% sales increase to $398.9m.
However, underlying profits for the full year fell 7.6% to $69.7m, with sales up 3% to $1.494bn.
Full-year comparable store sales across the company were flat. For the fourth quarter, company comparable store sales were up 1%.
Dressbarn sales increased 6% to $253.7m, with comps up 4%, while Maurices sales edged up 1% to $145.2m, with comps down 5%.
Dress Barn president and CEO David R Jaffe said he was pleased with the results, and drew attention to the importance of controlling costs and inventory levels.
"We are awaiting completion of our previously announced merger with Tween Brands, whose dominant position in the tween speciality retailing market can further extend our demographic reach and create significant value for our shareholders," Jaffe added.
The $157m stock-swap deal to acquire Tween Brands, which was announced in July, is continuing to progress and should complete before the end of the year, Dress Barn said.
The company anticipates fiscal 2010 earnings per share of $1.10-1.20, based on the performance of Dressbarn and Maurices, but not Tween Brands.
Retailer Men's Wearhouse posted a fourth quarter loss of US$18.9m, impacted by a 4% sales decline....
Pop-inspired apparel retailer Hot Topic posted a 44% decline in fourth quarter profit to US$8m after experiencing a double-digit sales decline....
Children's apparel retailer The Gymboree Corporation has posted a 12.5% rise in fourth quarter profit, helped by higher sales and control of its markdowns....
Casual apparel company J Crew returned to the black in the fourth quarter with a net profit of US$40.4m, boosted by a double-digit revenue surge....
Higher sales and lower markdowns of its teen clothing and accessories have combined to end the fourth quarter on a high note for retailer American Eagle Outfitters Inc....
Footwear retailer Collective Brands saw its fourth quarter loss narrow to US$10.9m, compared to $144m last year, as an improved customer focus led to fatter margins....
Women's wear retailer Cache Inc has booked a "disappointing" fourth quarter performance after impairment charges and markdowns pushed it to a loss of $1.2m....
Clothing and homewares retailer Urban Outfitters Inc has nearly doubled its fourth quarter profit, helped by soaring sales, better initial margins and fewer markdowns....
- Impact of the TPP on the US textile industry?
- Cambodia's future outsourcing prospects uncertain
- Hazardous chemical removal a key industry issue
- Who has signed up to the Greenpeace Detox Campaign
- JC Penney emphasises new merchandising strategy
- Vietnam proposes 15% rise to regional minimum wage
- Hong Kong's Li & Fung reports "solid" H1
- Avery Dennison forms JV with Ningbo Shenzhou
- Accord and Alliance discord over inspections
- Nike appointments to drive growth opportunities
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey