US: Dress Barn Q4 underlying profit up 14%
- Q4 sales up 4% to US$398.9m
- Q4 underlying profit up 14% to $25.2m
- Tween Brands deal should close by end of year
Cut-price apparel retailer Dress Barn posted a 14% increase in underlying fourth quarter profits to US$25.2m, thanks to a 4% sales increase to $398.9m.
However, underlying profits for the full year fell 7.6% to $69.7m, with sales up 3% to $1.494bn.
Full-year comparable store sales across the company were flat. For the fourth quarter, company comparable store sales were up 1%.
Dressbarn sales increased 6% to $253.7m, with comps up 4%, while Maurices sales edged up 1% to $145.2m, with comps down 5%.
Dress Barn president and CEO David R Jaffe said he was pleased with the results, and drew attention to the importance of controlling costs and inventory levels.
"We are awaiting completion of our previously announced merger with Tween Brands, whose dominant position in the tween speciality retailing market can further extend our demographic reach and create significant value for our shareholders," Jaffe added.
The $157m stock-swap deal to acquire Tween Brands, which was announced in July, is continuing to progress and should complete before the end of the year, Dress Barn said.
The company anticipates fiscal 2010 earnings per share of $1.10-1.20, based on the performance of Dressbarn and Maurices, but not Tween Brands.
Retailer Men's Wearhouse posted a fourth quarter loss of US$18.9m, impacted by a 4% sales decline....
Pop-inspired apparel retailer Hot Topic posted a 44% decline in fourth quarter profit to US$8m after experiencing a double-digit sales decline....
Children's apparel retailer The Gymboree Corporation has posted a 12.5% rise in fourth quarter profit, helped by higher sales and control of its markdowns....
Casual apparel company J Crew returned to the black in the fourth quarter with a net profit of US$40.4m, boosted by a double-digit revenue surge....
Higher sales and lower markdowns of its teen clothing and accessories have combined to end the fourth quarter on a high note for retailer American Eagle Outfitters Inc....
Footwear retailer Collective Brands saw its fourth quarter loss narrow to US$10.9m, compared to $144m last year, as an improved customer focus led to fatter margins....
Women's wear retailer Cache Inc has booked a "disappointing" fourth quarter performance after impairment charges and markdowns pushed it to a loss of $1.2m....
Clothing and homewares retailer Urban Outfitters Inc has nearly doubled its fourth quarter profit, helped by soaring sales, better initial margins and fewer markdowns....
- Levi Strauss raises the bar on sustainability
- Gap and H&M back Myanmar path to labour reform
- Nike reaffirms US production commitment
- H&M faces margin pressure on dollar impact
- Can technology shape a sustainable fashion future?
- Myanmar minimum wage set at US$3.2 per day
- Far Eastern to invest $323m in Vietnam textile hub
- Fast Retailing supplier continues strike talks
- Talks progressing on Myanmar minimum wage
- Under Armour unveils newest retail presence
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: The EU - May 2015
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015