US: DSW swings to Q4 net loss
Footwear retailer DSW has announced a net loss of US$7.5m for the fourth quarter, compared with net income of $1.1m in the same period last year, and slashed capital expenditure for the year ahead.
It posted net sales of $348.2m for the quarter ended 31 January, compared to $332.5m in the prior year period. Same-store sales decreased 7.2% versus a decrease of 1.7% in last year's Q4.
For the full-year, net income was $26.9m on net sales of $1.46bn, compared with net income of $53.8m on net sales of $1.41bn last year. Same-store sales decreased 5.9% versus a decrease of 0.8% last year.
The company anticipates a mid-single digit decrease in comparable store sales in fiscal 2009 and expects to open approximately 10 new DSW stores compared to 41 new stores in 2008.
Capital expenditures are expected to decrease to approximately $35m from $81m in 2008, the company said.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Cut-price apparel retailer Dress Barn posted a 14% increase in underlying fourth quarter profits to US$25.2m, thanks to a 4% sales increase to $398.9m....
Clothing retail giant Inditex, owner of the Zara chain, posted first half net income of EUR375m (US$550m), down 8% on last year but still ahead of market expectations....
Second quarter profit at Lululemon Athletica Inc, which sells yoga-inspired athletic apparel, managed to beat expectations despite falling by 17%....
Higher sales have helped Bakers Footwear Group Inc to narrow its second quarter loss, but the women's shoe retailer says its performance is still "below plan."...
Off-price retailer Retail Ventures Inc has seen swung to a second quarter loss on lower sales at its DSW shoe stores....
Apparel retailer The Talbots saw its second quarter loss nearly double as sales continued to spiral down - but still managed to trump analyst forecasts....
Tumbling sales and impairment charges have combined to push upmarket department store retailer Neiman Marcus Inc to a wider fourth quarter loss, ending what the company described as "a very challengin...
Hopes that the UK retail scene might be recovering have been dealt a blow by a 0.1% like-for-like decline in retail sales during August....
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- US Q4 in brief – Finish Line, Oxford Industries
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- Adidas mulls roll-out of in-store customisation
- Brands urged to empower women in sub-Sahara Africa
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective