USA: DuPont Hit By Increased Cost Of Raw Materials
DuPont announced positive second quarter results this week, though the higher cost for raw materials adversely affected earnings from nylon volumes.Second quarter underlying earnings per share of $.90 were up 15 per cent as compared with 1999. Underlying after-tax operating income (ATOI) of $1,169m was up 16 per cent despite a $170m after-tax cost increase for raw materials. Sales of $7.9 billion increased 13 percent versus 1999 and were up in all segments. Strong ATOI growth came from the Performance Coatings & Polymers, Specialty Polymers, and Pigments & Chemicals segments, and from increased ownership in Pioneer Hi-Bred International.Worldwide segment sales volume grew 6 per cent, reflecting growth in all regions.Average selling prices (ex-currency) were up 2 per cent, the first significant year-over-year increase since the first quarter of 1998.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- US Q4 in brief – G-III Apparel, Finish Line
- Big data to help US firms improve clothing fit
- Levi Strauss and ILO probe Cambodia factory death
- Sustainable fashion app to help shopping decisions
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack