USA: DuPont Hit By Increased Cost Of Raw Materials
DuPont announced positive second quarter results this week, though the higher cost for raw materials adversely affected earnings from nylon volumes.Second quarter underlying earnings per share of $.90 were up 15 per cent as compared with 1999. Underlying after-tax operating income (ATOI) of $1,169m was up 16 per cent despite a $170m after-tax cost increase for raw materials. Sales of $7.9 billion increased 13 percent versus 1999 and were up in all segments. Strong ATOI growth came from the Performance Coatings & Polymers, Specialty Polymers, and Pigments & Chemicals segments, and from increased ownership in Pioneer Hi-Bred International.Worldwide segment sales volume grew 6 per cent, reflecting growth in all regions.Average selling prices (ex-currency) were up 2 per cent, the first significant year-over-year increase since the first quarter of 1998.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Lenzing unveils new sustainability strategy
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar