US: eBay buys PhiSix 3D apparel modelling technology
Online marketplace eBay has acquired PhiSix, a computer graphics company which creates 3D models of clothing based on photography and pattern files.
eBay said the technology – which enables people to virtually “try on” clothing and see how it moves in a number of different scenarios – has “exciting possibilities” both online and offline.
The technology can recommend a clothing size based on basic measurement inputs, which PhiSix believes will minimise returns and improve the shopping experience, especially for omnichannel shoppers.
eBay said it could also be integrated across its entire portfolio, allowing consumers to make informed choices both at home and in the store.
“PhiSix’s technology enables consumers to understand the fit and movement of clothes in an online shopping environment,” said Steve Yankovich, vice president innovation and new ventures at eBay.
“Consumers can experience the merchandise in a more efficient and impactful way, which we believe will drive sales for retailers and create a delightful experience for shoppers.”
PhiSix was founded in 2012 by Jonathan Su, a former Intel research scientist who – along with his team of three – will be joining eBay’s Innovation and New Ventures team.
- Why voters don’t want more global supply chains
- Global supply chain trends at Sourcing at MAGIC
- Denim and athleisure top picks for back-to-school
- What's 3D-printing doing for apparel and footwear?
- Labelling – The importance of the fine print
- H&M takes action over Myanmar child labour breach
- Vietnam garment industry calls for strategy update
- Nike and Apollo create supply chain partnership
- US Q2 in brief - The Buckle, Stein Mart
- Li & Fung joins FTA in sustainable sourcing pledge
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- THE GAP, INC.: Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis