US: eBay buys PhiSix 3D apparel modelling technology
Online marketplace eBay has acquired PhiSix, a computer graphics company which creates 3D models of clothing based on photography and pattern files.
eBay said the technology – which enables people to virtually “try on” clothing and see how it moves in a number of different scenarios – has “exciting possibilities” both online and offline.
The technology can recommend a clothing size based on basic measurement inputs, which PhiSix believes will minimise returns and improve the shopping experience, especially for omnichannel shoppers.
eBay said it could also be integrated across its entire portfolio, allowing consumers to make informed choices both at home and in the store.
“PhiSix’s technology enables consumers to understand the fit and movement of clothes in an online shopping environment,” said Steve Yankovich, vice president innovation and new ventures at eBay.
“Consumers can experience the merchandise in a more efficient and impactful way, which we believe will drive sales for retailers and create a delightful experience for shoppers.”
PhiSix was founded in 2012 by Jonathan Su, a former Intel research scientist who – along with his team of three – will be joining eBay’s Innovation and New Ventures team.
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- Columbia Sportswear fined for mislabelled clothing
- “Made in USA” company rapped for deceptive claims
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change