US: eBay buys PhiSix 3D apparel modelling technology
Online marketplace eBay has acquired PhiSix, a computer graphics company which creates 3D models of clothing based on photography and pattern files.
eBay said the technology – which enables people to virtually “try on” clothing and see how it moves in a number of different scenarios – has “exciting possibilities” both online and offline.
The technology can recommend a clothing size based on basic measurement inputs, which PhiSix believes will minimise returns and improve the shopping experience, especially for omnichannel shoppers.
eBay said it could also be integrated across its entire portfolio, allowing consumers to make informed choices both at home and in the store.
“PhiSix’s technology enables consumers to understand the fit and movement of clothes in an online shopping environment,” said Steve Yankovich, vice president innovation and new ventures at eBay.
“Consumers can experience the merchandise in a more efficient and impactful way, which we believe will drive sales for retailers and create a delightful experience for shoppers.”
PhiSix was founded in 2012 by Jonathan Su, a former Intel research scientist who – along with his team of three – will be joining eBay’s Innovation and New Ventures team.
- India's labour law reforms edge a step closer
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- Alliance and Accord urged to harmonise efforts
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- Under Armour "resonating strongly" with consumers
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- Ultrasonic execs disappear along with company cash
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details