US: eBay buys PhiSix 3D apparel modelling technology
Online marketplace eBay has acquired PhiSix, a computer graphics company which creates 3D models of clothing based on photography and pattern files.
eBay said the technology – which enables people to virtually “try on” clothing and see how it moves in a number of different scenarios – has “exciting possibilities” both online and offline.
The technology can recommend a clothing size based on basic measurement inputs, which PhiSix believes will minimise returns and improve the shopping experience, especially for omnichannel shoppers.
eBay said it could also be integrated across its entire portfolio, allowing consumers to make informed choices both at home and in the store.
“PhiSix’s technology enables consumers to understand the fit and movement of clothes in an online shopping environment,” said Steve Yankovich, vice president innovation and new ventures at eBay.
“Consumers can experience the merchandise in a more efficient and impactful way, which we believe will drive sales for retailers and create a delightful experience for shoppers.”
PhiSix was founded in 2012 by Jonathan Su, a former Intel research scientist who – along with his team of three – will be joining eBay’s Innovation and New Ventures team.
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- Cost biggest barrier to Bangladesh RMG remediation
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- Lies and statistics – the sustainability version
- Ten key trends in apparel and footwear markets
- Bangladesh firm comes top in World Textile Awards
- Columbia rain jacket a milestone in sustainability
- Myanmar factories prepare for compliance training
- ILO decent work in global supply chains criticised
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)