US: eBay buys PhiSix 3D apparel modelling technology
Online marketplace eBay has acquired PhiSix, a computer graphics company which creates 3D models of clothing based on photography and pattern files.
eBay said the technology – which enables people to virtually “try on” clothing and see how it moves in a number of different scenarios – has “exciting possibilities” both online and offline.
The technology can recommend a clothing size based on basic measurement inputs, which PhiSix believes will minimise returns and improve the shopping experience, especially for omnichannel shoppers.
eBay said it could also be integrated across its entire portfolio, allowing consumers to make informed choices both at home and in the store.
“PhiSix’s technology enables consumers to understand the fit and movement of clothes in an online shopping environment,” said Steve Yankovich, vice president innovation and new ventures at eBay.
“Consumers can experience the merchandise in a more efficient and impactful way, which we believe will drive sales for retailers and create a delightful experience for shoppers.”
PhiSix was founded in 2012 by Jonathan Su, a former Intel research scientist who – along with his team of three – will be joining eBay’s Innovation and New Ventures team.
- Gap and H&M back Myanmar path to labour reform
- Levi Strauss raises the bar on sustainability
- Clarity on competition law and living wages
- Can technology shape a sustainable fashion future?
- Frustrations come to the fore in Bangladesh
- Talks progressing on Myanmar minimum wage
- Fast Retailing supplier continues strike talks
- Hugo Boss in talks over supplier labour claims
- US trade agenda back on track
- H&M warns of "negative" impact from dollar
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: The EU - May 2015
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015