CHINA: eBay to boost fashion sales with retail tie-up
US-based online retailer and auction house eBay is courting fashion-conscious consumers in China after teaming up with Chinese luxury online retailer Xiu.com to launch a new eBay Style website.
The site, which was launched yesterday (12 November), will feature up to 5,000 apparel, shoe, accessories, health and beauty brands currently being sold on eBay.com
The Chinese retailer will be responsible for handling all sales and logistics, including curating and translating the inventory from eBay with a product search and browsing experience suited to Chinese consumers. Xiu.com will also provide local returns and Chinese language customer service.
"Our mission is to bring the best of the world to China, so eBay, with its global access, is an ideal partner for us," said George Ji, CEO of Xiu.com.
"Through our curation efforts, we also hope to introduce a new, more inspiring buying experience to Chinese consumers."
eBay has seen a 40% year-on-year increase in the amount of goods bought by Chinese consumers navigating eBay.com in English.
"We believe that in the future Chinese consumers will use eBay as a passport to global fashion styles, especially for leading women's brands and accessories, and menswear, because our broad selection of new, branded, and designer merchandise will be unmatched in China," added vice president Melanie Tan.
"Our long term vision is to connect Chinese consumers to global products and brands that they want and love in a seamless and safe way.
"By partnering with Xiu.com we are able to surface our best inventory to Chinese consumers, while providing a simple and easy shopping experience."
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- New Gap CEO set to tackle “aesthetic issue”
- COMMENT: Skills or new technology?
- JC Penney share price falls on Q4 loss
- M&S Asia head quits as China stores to close
- Gap names new design head amid mixed Q4
- Pay rise mulled for Sri Lanka garment workers
- Delta Galil open to M&A as profit grows
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead