EUROPE: EC to probe Huntsman Rockwood acquisition
The European Commission has launched an investigation into chemical producer Huntsman’s acquisition of businesses from rival Rockwood, prompted by fears of reduced consumer choice.
The Commission’s probe under the EU Merger Regulation centres on concerns that competition may be reduced in the local market for sulphur-based titanium dioxide, used for whitening clothing and other materials.
Its investigation will centre on US-based Huntsman’s acquisition of Rockwood’s Sachtleben business, which produces titanium dioxide and functional additives.
Noting that the European Economic Area (EEA) market for titanium dioxide is worth EUR3bn, the Commission said its preliminary investigation had raised competition concerns, given that Huntsman and Sachtleben were the two leading suppliers and had been close competitors.
“The removal of the competitive constraint that Huntsman and Sachtleben currently exert on each other may therefore lead to less choice for customers and potentially to higher prices for the products concerned,” the Commission said.
It has 90 working days, until 22 July, to take a decision on the issue.
Sectors: Fibres & fabrics
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- US apparel retailers' August 2014 sales roundup
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- Apparel fuels global manufacturing downturn
- US cotton production set to decline
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details