BELGIUM: EC to probe state aid for Italian denim maker
The European Commission today (26 September) opened a formal investigation into EUR40.7m of state aid the Italian government plans to pay to denim maker Legler.
Brussels argues the state aid is an illegal subsidy that would create unfair competition.
Legler has had financial problems for years and is currently restructuring, but the Commission questions whether the aid will do anything but keep it artificially afloat.
EU competition commissioner Neelie Kroes said: "The Commission must ensure that restructuring aid effectively restores a company to commercial viability and does not create undue distortions of competition.
"In the case of the aid for Legler, we have our doubts."
The Italian government intends to grant Legler state aid in the form of a EUR13m long term guarantee, a EUR13.2m direct grant and EUR14.5m for debt relief.
The company operates in Lombardy and Sardinia, making high quality denim, corduroy and flat cotton.
By Monica Dobie.
By 2014, jeans will genuinely be a global fashion statement according to a new report from just-style, and the challenge for both brands and retail private labels will be to hold down a truly internat...
Are new EU curbs likely on Chinese apparel imports? Will Vietnam import monitoring lead to anti-dumping duties? And what will happen when US safeguards expire at the end of 2008? These are just three ...
The European Commission (EC) office in Sri Lanka said last week that some countries will "graduate" out of footwear duty cuts into the EU from 2009....
The European Commission has formally threatened legal action against Poland over its charging of a reduced 7% VAT rate on children's clothes, accessories and shoes which Brussels says breaks European ...
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- How to ensure sustainability is more than a slogan
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Taiwan textile maker investing in first US plant
- US Q3 in brief – Sears, Vince Holding, Genesco
- Myanmar garment industry "lacking labour rights"
- Outdoor apparel sector set for double-digit growth