Eco-friendly garment factory opens in Bangladesh
Leading Bangladesh-based apparel manufacturer AKH Group has opened a flagship eco-friendly garment factory that has been certified by the LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) building accreditation scheme.
The company, which according to its website supplies apparel retailers including Gap Inc and PVH Corp as well as Marks & Spencer and Primark, opened the AKH Eco Apparels Ltd factory in Dhamrai, near Dhaka, at the weekend. The factory meets the LEED certification requirements of the US Green Building Council (USGBC).
Bangladesh Commerce Minister Tofail Ahmed, BGMEA president Md Siddiqur Rahman, senior vice president Faruque Hassan, vice president of finance Mohammed Nasir, first vice president of the Federation of Bangladesh Chambers of Commerce and Industries (FBCCI) and former president of BGMEA Shafiul Islam (Mohiuddin), former FBCCI president AK Azad, and chairman of AKH Group Delwar Hossain were present at the opening ceremony.
The EU ambassador and head of delegation to Bangladesh HE Pierre Mayaudon, US ambassador HE Marcia Stephens Bloom Bernicat, German ambassador Dr Thomas Prinz and Japanese ambassador Masato Watanabe, were also present.
According to local reports, the company hopes to exports garments worth US$80m from the factory, which should also generate significant savings in electricity, fuel and water consumption.
In 2014, Bangladesh set the goal of doubling apparel exports to US$50bn by the country's 50th anniversary in 2021 – with the industry's investment in more sustainable factory environments seen as having an important part to play in achieving this target.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts