EU: Economic deal with West Africa to bring duty-free access
Sixteen West African states are to sign a trade deal with the European Union in a move that opens up full duty-free access for more countries.
The Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA) covers the EU states and the following countries: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo.
Under the terms of the deal, the EU will provide West African companies with more advantageous conditions than those applying to European exports to Africa.
The EU has committed to open its market to all West African products once the agreement comes into force, in return for the “partial and gradual” opening of the West African market.
West Africa will be allowed to continue to shield its agricultural sector from European competition by retaining tariffs or, when necessary, imposing safeguards – and the EU will not subsidise any agricultural exports to West Africa.
“We are building a privileged economic partnership with West Africa that will be a foundation of long-term growth and future prosperity in a region that is so close to Europe,” said European Commissioner for Trade, Karel De Gucht.
“To help the EPA deliver its promise for development, the EU and West Africa need to implement this deal as soon as possible.”
- Speed to market key to Adidas 2020 growth plan
- SuperGroup to adapt sourcing model for speed
- SOURCING: Production problems weigh on Pakistan
- PSF 2015: GAFTI gears for change in apparel auditi
- Cutting-edge companies focus on consumer needs
- Transparency call for German apparel firms
- Lululemon Athletica on “strong growth” track
- Strike at Adidas and Nike shoe factory in Vietnam
- El Corte Ingles to accelerate time to market
- Honduras “union-busting” rift unresolved
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019