EU: Economic deal with West Africa to bring duty-free access
Sixteen West African states are to sign a trade deal with the European Union in a move that opens up full duty-free access for more countries.
The Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA) covers the EU states and the following countries: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo.
Under the terms of the deal, the EU will provide West African companies with more advantageous conditions than those applying to European exports to Africa.
The EU has committed to open its market to all West African products once the agreement comes into force, in return for the “partial and gradual” opening of the West African market.
West Africa will be allowed to continue to shield its agricultural sector from European competition by retaining tariffs or, when necessary, imposing safeguards – and the EU will not subsidise any agricultural exports to West Africa.
“We are building a privileged economic partnership with West Africa that will be a foundation of long-term growth and future prosperity in a region that is so close to Europe,” said European Commissioner for Trade, Karel De Gucht.
“To help the EPA deliver its promise for development, the EU and West Africa need to implement this deal as soon as possible.”
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- The difference between compliance and safety?
- Vietnam – Are we too late to the party?
- Central America must make better use of DR-CAFTA
- How M&S plans to revamp its clothing business
- Yarn-forward rules weigh on Vietnam TPP potential
- US Q1 in brief – Guess, Burlington Stores, Sears
- Nike management changes to drive innovation
- Social responsibility key to winning millennials
- H&M commits to DBL Group's new Ethiopia factory
- Gap accused of rights violations in supply chain
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Victoria's Secret Stores, Inc.: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)
- Apparel Accessories in Hong Kong, China
- Practical Price Negotiation for Apparel Sourcing Professionals