CHINA: Economic downturn hits Zuoan's Q1
- Q1 profit falls 62.2%
- Sales drop 36.1%
- Gross margin narrows to 39.9%
The ongoing downturn in China's retail industry has hit earnings and sales for casual men's wear retailer Zuoan Fashion in the first quarter.
Net income plummeted 62.2% to CNY27.9m (US$4.5m) in the three months to the end of March, from CNY73.8m in the same quarter of 2013.
Gross margin narrowed to 39.9% from 45.7% in the year ago period, primarily due to a 3% decrease in wholesale pricing.
Revenues dropped 36.1% to CNY189.2m due to a drop in sales volumes from distributors due to China's economic downturn since 2013 as well as the fall in wholesale pricing.
"The ongoing downturn in China's retail industry has had an impact on many retailers and their supply chain partners, including Zuoan," said CEO James Hong. "Although the general market environment is not expected to improve in the short term, we believe that many of the macro challenges that impacted our business over the last year are slowly abating.
"As our growth returns to improved levels, we will remain prudent with spending and ensure our resources are applied to the most relevant areas of our business to ensure revenue and profit growth ahead."
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- Five ways to tackle market and demand volatility
- Freeing up working capital in the supply chain
- Hungary offers a mix of strengths and weaknesses
- German sustainable textile scheme heads to Vietnam
- Uniqlo under fire again for China worker abuses
- Golden Lady creates a new man-made fibre
- 3D tool uses product data to shake up shopping
- Fast Retailing in deal for laser treated garments
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Trade and Trade Policy: The World’s Leading Clothing Exporters and Key Markets 2015