US: Edges forward on Japan joining TPP trade talks
The US and Japan appear to have eased the way for Japan to take part in the ongoing Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade talks, although the two sides acknowledge that "more work remains to be done."
A White House statement released following a meeting last week between President Barack Obama and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, said that should Japan participate in the TPP negotiations, all goods would be subject to negotiation.
But it added "it is not required to make a prior commitment to unilaterally eliminate all tariffs upon joining the TPP negotiations," with the final outcome being "determined during the negotiations."
The wording leaves open a possible outcome that addresses Japanese concerns on agricultural products such as rice, as well as those of the US on its automotive sector.
The two governments have pledged to continue their bilateral consultations.
Other TPP nations already taking part in the negotiations are the US, Vietnam, Brunei, Chile, New Zealand, Singapore, Australia, Malaysia and Peru, plus new members Canada and Mexico.
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- US apparel retailers' August 2014 sales roundup
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- Philippines gets go-head for EU GSP+ benefits
- TAL Group improves pre-production efficiency
- Apparel fuels global manufacturing downturn
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details