US: Edges forward on Japan joining TPP trade talks
The US and Japan appear to have eased the way for Japan to take part in the ongoing Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade talks, although the two sides acknowledge that "more work remains to be done."
A White House statement released following a meeting last week between President Barack Obama and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, said that should Japan participate in the TPP negotiations, all goods would be subject to negotiation.
But it added "it is not required to make a prior commitment to unilaterally eliminate all tariffs upon joining the TPP negotiations," with the final outcome being "determined during the negotiations."
The wording leaves open a possible outcome that addresses Japanese concerns on agricultural products such as rice, as well as those of the US on its automotive sector.
The two governments have pledged to continue their bilateral consultations.
Other TPP nations already taking part in the negotiations are the US, Vietnam, Brunei, Chile, New Zealand, Singapore, Australia, Malaysia and Peru, plus new members Canada and Mexico.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- Sir Philip Green blamed for the collapse of BHS
- Brexit blow to global apparel industry confidence
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Brexit Trade Focus – How a CANZ-UK FTA stacks up
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Vietnam mulls wage freeze to boost competitiveness
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- Teijin launches polyester hook-and-loop fastener
- US Q2 in brief - Carter's, Wolverine Worldwide
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Southeast Asia & Central America strategic sourcing reviews package deal
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis