USA: Elder-Beerman Reports Results And New Strategy
The Elder-Beerman Stores Corp incurred a net loss of $1.4m for the 13 weeks ended October 28, 2000, excluding $10.7m in pre-tax charges relating to the company's new strategic plan announced on August 11, 2000 and the closing of one store. Normalised basic and diluted earnings per share equaled a loss of $0.10, compared to income from continuing operations of $0.05 in the third quarter of 1999. Including the charges relating to the strategic plan and store closing, Elder-Beerman incurred a net loss of $8.2m or $.58 per basic and diluted share for the third quarter. Total revenues for the quarter rose 3.9 per cent over last year to $161.9m. Total sales for the quarter increased 3.7 per cent over last year to $154.6m, and comparable sales for the quarter increased 0.7 per cent. Third quarter comparable sales reflect sales for stores open more than 13 months. Frederick J. Mershad, chairman and chief executive officer, stated, "The retail landscape is changing and Elder-Beerman is evolving through its three-part strategic plan to meet our customers' needs. Since the announcement of the plan in August, we have been working hard on its implementation. We believe that our strategic plan provides the best opportunity to compete for customers' business and grow in today's retail environment."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar