USA: Elder-Beerman Reports Results And New Strategy
The Elder-Beerman Stores Corp incurred a net loss of $1.4m for the 13 weeks ended October 28, 2000, excluding $10.7m in pre-tax charges relating to the company's new strategic plan announced on August 11, 2000 and the closing of one store. Normalised basic and diluted earnings per share equaled a loss of $0.10, compared to income from continuing operations of $0.05 in the third quarter of 1999. Including the charges relating to the strategic plan and store closing, Elder-Beerman incurred a net loss of $8.2m or $.58 per basic and diluted share for the third quarter. Total revenues for the quarter rose 3.9 per cent over last year to $161.9m. Total sales for the quarter increased 3.7 per cent over last year to $154.6m, and comparable sales for the quarter increased 0.7 per cent. Third quarter comparable sales reflect sales for stores open more than 13 months. Frederick J. Mershad, chairman and chief executive officer, stated, "The retail landscape is changing and Elder-Beerman is evolving through its three-part strategic plan to meet our customers' needs. Since the announcement of the plan in August, we have been working hard on its implementation. We believe that our strategic plan provides the best opportunity to compete for customers' business and grow in today's retail environment."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Bagir CEO says suit-maker is back on track
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Fruit of the Loom CEO Medlin dies suddenly
- Crystal expands empowerment project to male staff
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack