AUSTRALIA: Emu files Ugg countersuit
Boot company Emu Australia has launched a countersuit against Ugg brand owner Deckers Outdoor, progressing a trademark battle between the two companies.
Emu said it has filed a lawsuit against Deckers alleging its Ugg trademark "was obtained after a false statement to the US Trademark Office and is therefore invalid".
Emu Australia owner Paul Neate said in a written statement: "Decker’s have aggressively marketed their “ugg” – Australia marks and many consumers are unaware of the fact that UGG Australia is in fact American owned and based.
"There is a lot more to be told about the history of the word “ugg”, not only in Australia and Asia but also in the USA, Canada and in the UK and Europe. We believe in time the courts will come to hear the truth in different jurisdictions and will hand down decisions that make this history clearer for all concerned."
In response, a spokesperson for Decker's told just-style it is not able to comment further on the ongoing litigation.
It follows news last month that Deckers Outdoor had filed a trademark infringement in the US against Emu Australia and Emu (Aus) Pty, relating to Deckers' Ugg Australia brand.
US footwear group Deckers Outdoor Corp has completed its purchase of action sport and footwear brand Sanuk....
US footwear firm Deckers Outdoor Corporation is to buy the action sport and footwear brand Sanuk in a deal worth US$120m....
Ugg boot owner Deckers Outdoor Corporation has booked a higher first quarter profit following a major increase in sales for its Ugg and Teva brands....
Deckers Outdoor Corporation has named Stephen Murray as president of Europe, Middle East and Africa, overseeing subsidiary and distributor businesses which include the Ugg Australia, Teva, Tsubo and S...
- Speed to market key to Adidas 2020 growth plan
- SOURCING: Production problems weigh on Pakistan
- Cutting-edge companies focus on consumer needs
- SuperGroup to adapt sourcing model for speed
- What next for smart fabrics and garments?
- Swedish textile water project to expand globally
- Organic cotton assessment tool launches
- PVH “pleased” after swinging to Q4 profit
- Apparel and textiles rank high on EU alert system
- Lululemon Athletica on “strong growth” track
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019