GERMANY: Escada widens H1 loss as restructuring continues
German fashion house Escada AG has widened its first half loss to EUR91.7m (US$127.7m) on lower sales and EUR55m in write-offs lined to the sale of its Primera unit.
The loss for the first half of the fiscal 2008/09, which runs from November 2008 to April 2009, compares with a loss of EUR8m in the same period last year.
Sales dropped by 23.9% to EUR 151m, down from EUR198.5m the year before. Sales of its core Escada brand fell 18% to EUR146.5m from EUR178.8m.
European sales fell 27.9% to EUR86.5m, with the biggest declines seen in France, Italy, the UK and Russia, the company said.
Declines of 21.9% and 12.9% were seen in North America and Asia respectively.
Moves to stimulate sales by cutting prices meant gross profit margin fell 2.6 percentage points to 64.4%.
The fashion firm has made no secret of the fact that its survival depends on raising cash and reducing debt while it carries out a planned restructuring.
In a statement on Monday (22 June) it said it still believes "the planned financial restructuring can be implemented," - a move that would prevent it from having to file for insolvency.
At the end of April, Escada's net debt widened by EUR10m to EUR187.6m.
Escada, the bankrupt German luxury fashion brand, is ready to make a new beginning after being bought by Indian steel tycoon Lakshmi Mittal's daughter-in-law Megha Mittal for an undisclosed sum....
Luxury retail has been one of the sectors hardest hit by the global recession, as shoppers increasingly defer new purchases, spend less, or simply trade down to discounts on higher-end brands or fast ...
Collapsed German fashion house Escada has been sold to Megha Mittal, daughter-in-law of steel tycoon Lakshmi Mittal, for an undisclosed sum....
Four bidders, including the son of the company founder, are in the race to acquire collapsed fashion house Escada, according to reports....
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack