HONG KONG: Esprit cautious despite swinging to H1 profit
- Company swings to H1 profit of HKD95m
- Turnover fell 5.5% to HKD12.81bn
- Second-half performance "remains uncertain"
Hong Kong fashion brand Esprit has returned to profit in the first half as efforts to overhaul its operations start to gain traction, but warned the second half of the year "remains uncertain".
The company's net profit reached HKD95m (US$12.2m) for the six months ended 31 December, compared to a loss of HKD465m in the same period of the prior year.
Turnover, however, fell 5.5% to HKD12.81bn from HKD13.55bn last year in line with store closures. In local currency turnover fell 9.3%
Retail sales in Europe grew 0.1% year-on-year in local currency and excluding store closures. But the group's wholesale performance in Europe and in the Asia Pacific region has not yet stabilised, the company added.
CFO Thomas Tang said: "It is through the combined and committed efforts of the management team to reduce cost that we achieved over HKD1bn in savings in the first half of the financial year, which enabled the group to return to profitability.
"We will be able to leverage this reduced cost base when the high performance product engine is in place."
Esprit said it will continue with efforts to stabilise its performance by adopting a faster and more efficient vertically integrated business model.
Canadean's "Esprit Holdings Limited : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a compan...
Esprit has taken significant measures to overhaul its operations, distribution and branding through a high-cost transformation plan. However, with a focus on fragile Western Europe and intensely compe...
Introduction Footwear in United Arab Emirates industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018......
Introduction Footwear in Norway industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile......
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- COMMENT: Skills or new technology?
- UK reshoring hub hit by sweatshop claims
- South Africa to grow grass for recyclable textiles
- Activewear driving US apparel spend
- JC Penney share price falls on Q4 loss
- Sri Lanka and Bangladesh FTA talks underway
- Delta Galil open to M&A as profit grows
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide