HONG KONG: Esprit cautious despite swinging to H1 profit
- Company swings to H1 profit of HKD95m
- Turnover fell 5.5% to HKD12.81bn
- Second-half performance "remains uncertain"
Hong Kong fashion brand Esprit has returned to profit in the first half as efforts to overhaul its operations start to gain traction, but warned the second half of the year "remains uncertain".
The company's net profit reached HKD95m (US$12.2m) for the six months ended 31 December, compared to a loss of HKD465m in the same period of the prior year.
Turnover, however, fell 5.5% to HKD12.81bn from HKD13.55bn last year in line with store closures. In local currency turnover fell 9.3%
Retail sales in Europe grew 0.1% year-on-year in local currency and excluding store closures. But the group's wholesale performance in Europe and in the Asia Pacific region has not yet stabilised, the company added.
CFO Thomas Tang said: "It is through the combined and committed efforts of the management team to reduce cost that we achieved over HKD1bn in savings in the first half of the financial year, which enabled the group to return to profitability.
"We will be able to leverage this reduced cost base when the high performance product engine is in place."
Esprit said it will continue with efforts to stabilise its performance by adopting a faster and more efficient vertically integrated business model.
More than 170 companies have now signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh following the collapse of the Rana Plaza factory building in Dhaka, which killed more than 1,100 people las...
Esprit has taken significant measures to overhaul its operations, distribution and branding through a high-cost transformation plan. However, with a focus on fragile Western Europe and intensely compe...
Apparel Retail in Asia-Pacific industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile also contai...
Apparel Retail in China industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile also contains desc...
Apparel Retail in Germany industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile also contains de...
- Li & Fung: China consumption to bring major change
- INTERVIEW: Crystal CEO rises to the challenges
- Innovation and e-commerce key to Nike's growth
- Pacific Crystal Textiles gears up for production
- Opinion divided on China cotton import cuts
- Addressing anaemia key to Cambodia productivity
- Chinese firm to invest in Ethiopian textile plant
- Activists slam dismissals at Sri Lanka shoe firm
- Columbia Sportswear hires global manufacturing VP
- Textile value chain making Africa more competitive