HONG KONG: Esprit cautious despite swinging to H1 profit
- Company swings to H1 profit of HKD95m
- Turnover fell 5.5% to HKD12.81bn
- Second-half performance "remains uncertain"
Hong Kong fashion brand Esprit has returned to profit in the first half as efforts to overhaul its operations start to gain traction, but warned the second half of the year "remains uncertain".
The company's net profit reached HKD95m (US$12.2m) for the six months ended 31 December, compared to a loss of HKD465m in the same period of the prior year.
Turnover, however, fell 5.5% to HKD12.81bn from HKD13.55bn last year in line with store closures. In local currency turnover fell 9.3%
Retail sales in Europe grew 0.1% year-on-year in local currency and excluding store closures. But the group's wholesale performance in Europe and in the Asia Pacific region has not yet stabilised, the company added.
CFO Thomas Tang said: "It is through the combined and committed efforts of the management team to reduce cost that we achieved over HKD1bn in savings in the first half of the financial year, which enabled the group to return to profitability.
"We will be able to leverage this reduced cost base when the high performance product engine is in place."
Esprit said it will continue with efforts to stabilise its performance by adopting a faster and more efficient vertically integrated business model.
Canadean's "Esprit Holdings Limited : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a compan...
Esprit has taken significant measures to overhaul its operations, distribution and branding through a high-cost transformation plan. However, with a focus on fragile Western Europe and intensely compe...
Introduction Footwear in United Arab Emirates industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018......
Introduction Footwear in Norway industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile......
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Kurt Cavano on “the Uberfication of everything”
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- US Q2 in brief: J Crew, Aeropostale, Bebe Stores
- Adidas seeking to resolve shoe supplier dispute
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- Stock-out paradox persists despite data overload
- H&M offers $1m grant for sustainable innovations
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019