HONG KONG: Esprit share price up on Q3 comps growth
Esprit saw its share price shoot up today (10 May) as the company recorded third-quarter comparable-store sales growth and completed the divestiture of its North American operations.
The Hong Kong based retailer saw its share price rise 5.27% to HKD14.78 per share as it revealed comparable store sales swung to a positive 0.5% growth over the quarter, against a 4.6% decline in the same period of the prior year.
However, the company, which is in the midst of a transformation plan, recorded a 7.2% decline in sales to HKD23.9bn for the nine months ended 31 March. Over the period, comparable-store sales fell 3%.
Retail sales fell 2.5% to HKD13.8bn, while wholesale revenues were down 15.5% to HKD9.9bn.
Over the period, the brand completed the divestment of its North American retail operations. It said it will also get a HKD700m write-back from the store closures.
It said its China design centre and trend division are progressing according to plan and will deliver their first collections in stores in August and September 2012 respectively.
Its central buying function has begun operating, and the company is hoping the shift will help it save around HKD1bn per year by the 2014/15 financial year.
Featured reports from just-style's research store this week include profiles of US lingerie retailer Victoria's Secret and fashion retailer Esprit, a look at the footwear markets in Indonesia and Taiw...
Fashion retailer Esprit and its sourcing agent Li & Fung have been targeted by protesters in Hong Kong, Turkey and Thailand in a series of demonstrations accusing them of failing to pay wages and seve...
Top stories on just-style this week included a pledge by Marks & Spencer to eliminate hazardous chemicals from its supply chain by 2020, strong third-quarter profits at VF Corp, and news that Esprit i...
Hong Kong-based clothing brand Esprit is looking to raise up to HK$5.2bn (US$670m) through a rights issue to fund the execution of its transformation plan....
Hong Kong based clothing retailer Esprit today (26 September) seen its share price drop despite recording soaring full-year profits....
French outdoor clothing retailer Lafuma has confirmed that South Korean apparel conglomerate E-Land is in talks to buy the firm. ...
German department store operator Karstadt has made a number of new appointments in its fashion and merchandising department as part of its turnaround plans....
Women's footwear brand Sam Edelman has announced that Libby Edelman will rejoin the company to help drive the marketing and licensing of the brand. ...
- Expensive US dollar hitting H&M sourcing costs
- Enthusiasm for tech in outdoor apparel on rise
- 2015: Welcome to the new fashion consumer
- New American Apparel CEO sees solid platform
- Outlook 2015: What's happening with sourcing?
- Kanati pulls production out of Pakistan
- EU exploring responsible garment supply chains
- Gap to close Piperlime division
- Hanesbrands invests $1.5m in US hosiery plant
- US takes final step to WTO TFA implementation
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead