EU and Turkey to update customs union
The European Union (EU) and Turkey are to modernise their 20-year-old customs union and look at ways to enhance bilateral trade ties between the two regions.
The move announced last week is aimed at "bringing [the customs union] into the 21st century, according to trade commissioner Cecilia Malmström.
The customs union came into force in 1995 as a first step in Turkey's accession talks with the EU, but the process has been stalled in the face of opposition from some EU member states. Under the agreement, industrial goods are traded duty free.
However, the terms of the pact mean Turkey is unable to pursue a bilateral free-trade agreement with any country until the EU has already established one. It also means non-EU countries with an EU FTA can access Turkey duty-free, but Turkish exporters do not have reciprocal access.
The result is that Turkey’s trade policy has been shadowing that of the EU – and the country is concerned it will lose out as talks progress on the EU’s Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) with the United States.
Turkey is the EU's sixth biggest trading partner, and figures from the EC's Directorate-General for Trade show clothing imports into the EU from Turkey in 2014 were worth EUR9.37bn, up 4.9% on the previous year. Textile imports, meanwhile were up 7.5% year-on-year to EUR4.32bn.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report