SCOTLAND: EU Backs Down To Save Scottish Cashmere
The protracted "banana wars" between the US and EU have come to an end, saving the Scottish cashmere industry from crippling import duties.At a meeting this week the EU said it would stop giving preferential treatment to banana imports from former colonies, a policy that had caused the US to retaliate by imposing high import duties.Under World Trade Organisation rules, the US can impose 100 per cent duties on a range of European products to retaliate for losses sustained because of the European banana import regime.This favours former European colonies and not the South American plantations owned by American companies.The US had drawn up the trade retaliation list to try and persuade the European Union to settle the row over banana and beef imports.Scotland Office Minister Brian Wilson described the EU offer as a "turning-point" in the dispute. The move follows a delegation to Europe led by two Borders MPs in a bid to bring to an end the trade dispute.Michael Moore and Archy Kirkwood were joined by representatives from the cashmere industry and the local enterprise company, the Scotsman reported today.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- Software for financial planning and operations
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack