UKRAINE: EU drops customs duties in bid to boost economy
The temporary removal of duties is designed to help Ukraine help stabilise its economy
The European Commission has temporarily removed customs duties from Ukrainian exports to the European Union in a bid to help stabilise the troubled country’s economy.
The EC said it had decided on the move “following recent unprecedented events” in Ukraine, which has seen weeks of unrest and violence, a change of government, as well as Russian troops on the streets of Crimea.
The move by the EU is a temporary removal of duties to bridge the gap to a planned Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area (DCFTA) agreement, which is expected to be signed by November.
That agreement is set to cover clothing among many other areas, with EU clothing imports into Ukraine also included in its terms.
The temporary removal of duties will benefit Ukraine to the tune of EUR500m a year, according to EC president José Manuel Barroso, who described it as “a concrete, tangible measure of EU support to Ukraine”.
The agreement will also include safeguards to prevent market-distorting surges impacting adversely on European countries, the Commission added.
“The European Commission is committed, and ready, to support Ukraine to stabilise its economic and financial situation,” Barroso said.
- Speed to market key to Adidas 2020 growth plan
- GAFTI gears up for change in apparel auditing
- SuperGroup to adapt sourcing model for speed
- Fast Retailing ramps up sustainability efforts
- Apparel software trends 2015: What else to watch?
- Transparency call for German apparel firms
- Strike at Adidas and Nike shoe factory in Vietnam
- Myanmar garments to benefit from export strategy
- H&M and Kering trial recycling technology
- Lululemon Athletica on “strong growth” track
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide