BELGIUM: EU looks to slash Turkish trade barriers
EU examines Turkish trade border
Reforming the customs union between the European Union (EU) and Turkey would boost the key EU-Turkish textiles and clothing trade, the European Parliament’s international trade committee has said.
A communiqué said despite industrial goods traded between Turkey and the EU being duty free, “customs union mechanisms need to be fully functional, bureaucracy simplified, and remaining tariff and non-tariff barriers removed.”
It wants abolished “all unnecessary barriers to EU-Turkey trade, such as non-recognition of certification, duplicative testing, multiple inspections, technical regulations and standards.”
Because Turkey is a key exporter to the EU, especially regarding clothing, MEPs were particularly concerned about “non-tariff barriers faced by Turkish exporters”.
These include difficulties for Turkish businessmen and lorry drivers in securing visas from EU member states.
Another problem is Turkey’s difficulty securing free trade agreements (FTAs) with non-EU countries with EU FTAs.
The EU-Turkey customs union means these non-EU countries access Turkey duty-free, “but Turkish exporters do not have reciprocal access,” noted the committee.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts