EU: EU Releases Remaining Indian Textile Quota
The European Union has decided to release the remaining quota of 4,500 tonnes of textile imports from India into EU countries for the current year. It is more than two years since the EU last released this quota. The EU will now release the full quota of 8,000 tonnes of textiles every year - after checking the implementation by India of the agreed level of duties. The issue of restoration of the full quota of textile exports from India to the EU was taken up during the EU summit in Lisbon. A number of follow-up meetings were held and in July last year it was agreed that India would notify a reduction of duties to the World Trade Organisation (WTO) and implement the reductions. At that stage, the EU released 3,500 tonnes of quotas. In the meantime, India signed an agreement with the United States to reduce duties and notified this to the WTO. As this notification fulfilled the EU requirements also, the EU took the decision to release the remaining 4,500 tonnes of the textile quota for exports from India to the European Union countries.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- JC Penney to close 140 stores amid lower sales
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022