BANGLADESH: European delegation to discuss progress on safety
A delegation of the European Parliament is visiting Bangladesh this week, ahead of the first anniversary of the Rana Plaza building collapse in which more than 1,100 garment workers lost their lives.
The mission, led by the Honourable Jean Lambert, chairperson of the delegation for relations with South Asia, will take place today and tomorrow (24-25 March).
Discussions will centre on the implementation of the measures aimed at improving factory safety and workers' rights, notably the EU-Bangladesh Global Sustainability Compact.
The "global sustainability compact" was agreed between the European Union (EU) and Bangladesh last July to address labour abuses in the Bangladeshi garment industry.
Under the compact, Bangladesh promised to strengthen workers' rights on freedom to organise trade unions and engage in collective bargaining with management, rights that are not widely available in the country.
Concerned that the political parties did not manage to agree on an inclusive mechanism for the January 2014 elections, this week's EP delegation will also discuss the post-election scenario as well as social and economic issues with key Bangladeshi decision-makers and civil society representatives.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Supply chain takeaways from Sourcing at MAGIC
- Why voters don’t want more global supply chains
- Denim and athleisure top picks for back-to-school
- What's 3D-printing doing for apparel and footwear?
- Labelling – The importance of the fine print
- H&M takes action over Myanmar child labour breach
- Vietnam garment industry calls for strategy update
- US Q2 in brief - Burlington Stores, Destination XL
- Zara USA faces US$5m deceptive pricing lawsuit
- EU clothing imports from China continue to plunge
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory