BANGLADESH: European delegation to discuss progress on safety
A delegation of the European Parliament is visiting Bangladesh this week, ahead of the first anniversary of the Rana Plaza building collapse in which more than 1,100 garment workers lost their lives.
The mission, led by the Honourable Jean Lambert, chairperson of the delegation for relations with South Asia, will take place today and tomorrow (24-25 March).
Discussions will centre on the implementation of the measures aimed at improving factory safety and workers' rights, notably the EU-Bangladesh Global Sustainability Compact.
The "global sustainability compact" was agreed between the European Union (EU) and Bangladesh last July to address labour abuses in the Bangladeshi garment industry.
Under the compact, Bangladesh promised to strengthen workers' rights on freedom to organise trade unions and engage in collective bargaining with management, rights that are not widely available in the country.
Concerned that the political parties did not manage to agree on an inclusive mechanism for the January 2014 elections, this week's EP delegation will also discuss the post-election scenario as well as social and economic issues with key Bangladeshi decision-makers and civil society representatives.
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- Gap audits reveal compliance issues in Myanmar
- Water scarcity a challenge to cotton supply chains
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- Fitness fashion propels Athleta towards $1bn sales
- Adidas to use only Bluesign-approved chemicals
- Scientists hail first recycled cotton garment
- Accord and Alliance discord "a setback"
- Weak traffic slows sales for Abercrombie & Fitch
- Cambodia garment makers condemn strike protests
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report