CHINA: European Fabrics Move In On China
China is now the world's most important garment manufacturing country with its clothing factories consuming a massive 20 billion meters of fabric a year, says Intertextile, organizers of the Shanghaimart and Intext trade fairs due to take place in Shanghai from October 18 to 20. Recent research shows that Chinese citizens are now spending up to l8 per cent of their total income on shoes and clothing and that the under-thirties in particular are seeking internationally-celebrated brand name goods as a guarantee of quality.Imported cloth is becoming increasingly popular with a quarter of all the fabrics now used by the Chinese industry sourced overseas. Most imported fabrics will ultimately be re-exported in the form of finished garments ― 40 per cent of total production goes abroad, earning China the equivalent of US$30 billion a year. The long term picture is one of consumers in China itself demanding higher quality fabrics than locally-based mills can provide, giving would-be exporters an even larger potential market than at present, says Intertextile.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020