CHINA: European Fabrics Move In On China
China is now the world's most important garment manufacturing country with its clothing factories consuming a massive 20 billion meters of fabric a year, says Intertextile, organizers of the Shanghaimart and Intext trade fairs due to take place in Shanghai from October 18 to 20. Recent research shows that Chinese citizens are now spending up to l8 per cent of their total income on shoes and clothing and that the under-thirties in particular are seeking internationally-celebrated brand name goods as a guarantee of quality.Imported cloth is becoming increasingly popular with a quarter of all the fabrics now used by the Chinese industry sourced overseas. Most imported fabrics will ultimately be re-exported in the form of finished garments ― 40 per cent of total production goes abroad, earning China the equivalent of US$30 billion a year. The long term picture is one of consumers in China itself demanding higher quality fabrics than locally-based mills can provide, giving would-be exporters an even larger potential market than at present, says Intertextile.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Outlook 2017 – What else is the industry watching?
- Outlook 2017 – Strategies for sourcing success
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- Outlook 2017 – Challenges and opportunities
- M&S quality focus finally lifts clothing sales
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Sri Lanka on track to regain EU GSP+ benefits
- 22 dos and dont's – When sourcing goes wrong
- Aéropostale to reopen 500 stores across the US
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar