Ever-Glory warns on "challenges" as Q2 profit slides
- Q2 gross profit falls 11% to US$26.7m
- Gross margin narrows to 33.1%
- Total sales climb 6.5% to $80.7m
Chinese fashion retailer and supplier Ever-Glory International Group has warned of challenging market conditions heading into the remainder of the year, as it revealed a fall in second-quarter earnings and margin.
For the three months to the end of June, total gross profit dropped 11% to US$26.7m, compared with $30m in the year ago period. Gross margin narrowed to 33.1% from 39.7%.
Total sales, however, climbed 6.5% to $80.7m from $75.7m in the prior year, primarily driven by a 26.9% increase in the company's wholesale business and partially offset by a 6.7% drop in its retail business.
Sales for the company's branded fashion apparel retail division were down 6.7% to $42.9m for the quarter as a result of a drop in same-store sales.
Ever-Glory has been undertaking a strategy to improve its cost structure, which it says has resulted in decreased operating expenses as a percentage of total sales in the quarter.
CEO Yihua Kang said: "We are pleased with our financial results in the second quarter…the strategic initiatives we have implemented in the last few months have contributed to these solid results.
"Looking at the remainder of 2016, we expect the challenging market conditions to remain. We are committed to our strategic initiatives and laying a firm foundation for a sustainable and profitable business in the long term."
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Ethiopia violence undermines sourcing strategies
- Marks & Spencer top for modern slavery reporting
- Bangladesh garment workers rally for higher wages
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- H&M CEO named sustainability leader
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020