CANADA: Expansion Plans Drive Wal-Mart's Distribution Overhaul
SCM Supply Chain Management, a Tibbett & Britten member company, is developing a trans-Canadian distribution network in partnership with retail giant Wal-Mart. The retailer's new growth targets have prompted the distribution overhaul.Three purpose-built centres, each about 1 million sq ft (93,000 sq m), are replacing an interim network that has been in place since Wal-Mart entered the Canadian market. Two of the new centres are located in Ontario while the remaining one is based in Alberta.Ron Tomiuck, president of SCM, said: "For the past six years, SCM has been proud to be Wal-Mart's partner. Through this time we have developed a distinctive customer-focused culture, meeting Wal-Mart's exacting standards even though our team members have been working in less than ideal conditions."The outgoing interim network dates back to when Wal-Mart entered the Canadian market in 1994. On acquiring 122 stores from Woolco, the company appointed SCM to establish a distribution network from scratch.SCM managed to complete the mammoth task in three months and Wal-Mart has gone on to quadruple its sales in Canada and currently has 165 stores coast-to-coast. The SCM network has expanded accordingly, operating from eight main hubs in 1999.SCM Europe is doing similar work for Wal-Mart's European expansion In Germany, SCM Europe is handling nationwide logistics operations for the retailer and is currently constructing a second regional distribution centre.In the UK, Tibbett & Britten is a major supplier of logistics to Wal-Mart's Asda supermarket chain, handling the warehousing and distribution of both 'George' branded clothing and home and leisure products.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Where next for Corporate Human Rights Benchmark?
- US Q4 in brief – Finish Line, Oxford Industries
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- Vietnam limits hazardous chemicals in apparel
- World Bank commits $57bn to sub-Saharan Africa
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective