CHINA: Experts Alarmed By High Rate Of Equipment Imports
Experts have warned that the rapid growth in China's textile equipment imports will bring problems to the industry, Asia Pulse reported today. Experts are concerned that projects are being launched too quickly, without sufficient planning and that far too much equipment is being brought into the country, much of it similar and, more worryingly, already out of date.Jiangsu imported 1,861 looms in the first seven months of the year, 384 per cent more than the same period in 1999. Such levels of similar imports will increase market competition, industry insiders said. Most of the imported equipment is outdated, some of it even dating back to the early 80s. Statistics showed that Jiangsu imported $210m worth of textile machinery and fittings in the first seven months of this year, surpassing the total import of the same kind of products in 1999.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- JC Penney to close 140 stores amid lower sales
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022