INDIA: Export incentives restored for cotton yarn
The temporary restoration of the Incremental Exports Incentivisation Scheme (IEIS) for Indian cotton yarn exporters will make local spinning more viable in 2014, an industry spokesman has said.
Under the IEIS, exporters earn credit amounting to 2% of the duty on annualised increases in exports over qualifying periods and for particular markets, and may either use this to import industry-related goods for themselves or sell the credit to another yarn manufacturer.
The industry believes central government's decision to withdraw the incentive in September last year was intended to discourage cotton yarn exports in favour of higher value-added finished textiles.
Cotton yarn prices in the local market have been affected by the earlier decision.
"The prices of cotton yarn are not increasing in tandem with the rise in cotton prices in India," DK Nair, secretary-general of the Confederation of Indian Textile Industry, told just-style.
India's Directorate General of Foreign Trade has now restored the benefit from for the period from September 2013 to 31 March 2014.
"Since this year's exports of cotton yarn are going to be higher than the previous year, this will be beneficial to the exporters," Nair said.
With so little time remaining, the move may have only limited impact on Indian cotton yarn prices - but will help exporters "to cut their losses or improve profits," Nair added.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- Nicaragua apparel and shoe firms to double in size
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- H&M scaling up living wage effort to key suppliers
- Myanmar approves first minimum wage
- US Q2 in brief: G-III, Shoe Carnival, J Crew
- EU clothing buyers should brace for higher prices
- Adidas seeking to resolve shoe supplier dispute
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020