INDIA: Exporters seek new markets as EU orders fall
Orders from the US have started to rebound, while European sales are sluggish
Indian garment exporters are looking to buyers in new countries to compensate for falling orders from struggling, traditional western markets, the chairman of the Apparel Export Promotion Council (AEPC) has told just-style.
"Since the last two years when our conventional markets in Europe, the United States and Canada are facing economic problems, we have started to look for new markets in South America, South Africa, Japan and Israel," Dr A Sakthivel explained.
While orders from the United States have started to rebound, European sales are sluggish and there is still a 10% deficit in demand from Europe compared to earlier sales, he warned.
According to Dr Sakthivel, exports to Japan have been aided by the 2011 India-Japan Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement, which removed import duties on most items including garments.
Meanwhile, sales to other countries are also growing. "South Africa is doing well for us and we are also starting to get new orders from Israel," he said.
However, Dr Sakthivel said the small size of these new orders means they can only support rather than replace European demand, which still accounts for half of all Indian garment exports. "We can't have a complete diversion to other countries but we are penetrating into these new markets," he said.
Ultimately, the AEPC is trying to use these difficult times to create new opportunities: "Once the initiative is taken [towards the new markets] it will be a long relationship," said Dr Sakthivel.
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Outdoor industry's future must be more inclusive
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Tesco's H1 profit plunge: What the analysts say
- Cambodia clothing factory collapse injures eight
- Adidas "Reebok sale" would be admittance of defeat
- H&M and The North Face commit to responsible down
- Bangladesh taps factory inspectors ahead of review
- Collapsed Cambodia factory had structural issues
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre