VIETNAM: Exporters To US Told To Start Small
Garment makers aiming to find a niche in the lucrative US market should start small and work towards more profitable contracts later, American Technology president Dinh Duc Huu said at a seminar this week.Huu also said that domestic manufacturers were failing to capitalise on low labour costs and risked losing ground to Taiwanese and Chinese rivals. Hefty spending on marketing, including on the Internet, was necessary to gain customers in America and elsewhere, he added.Dinh Duc Huu said that his company was committed to helping Vietnamese manufacturers establish strong business links with the US. American Technology had installed a server in California that could host up to 100,000 websites, and was willing to help Vietnamese manufacturers promote themselves via the Internet.Le Van Dao, deputy head of the Trade Ministry's import-export division, told the seminar that small and medium textile and garment enterprises should continue to receive financial assistance from the State in their efforts to raise their competitiveness and access the American market.He said he hoped the US-Vietnam trade pact would be ratified soon to lower the import duty on Vietnamese garments and make them more competitive in America.Vietnam's revenue from garment exports to the US last year is reported at $37m.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report