US: Express Q4 profit down on promotions
- Q4 profit down 25% to US$47.9m from $63.9m
- Sales up 2.2% to $715.9m
- Comparable sales climb 1%
Specialty retail apparel chain Express has reported a 25% decline in fourth-quarter profit, weighed down by accelerated promotions in December and January.
Gross margin declined 300 basis points to 32% and merchandise margin fell 220 basis points during the 13 weeks to 1 February.
Chairman and CEO Michael Weiss said: "Our fourth quarter results were within the range of our revised guidance but disappointing nonetheless given the strength of our collection across both genders.
"We delivered positive comps for the quarter, but the heavier than planned pace of promotions impacted both top-line and margins. On the plus side, we ended the quarter with lean inventories heading into spring.
For the full year, net income fell 16.4% to $116.5m from $139.3m in the prior year period, while sales increased 3% to $2.21bn against $2.16bn last year.
The company expects 2014 earnings per share to be $1.03 - $1.23, down on last year's $1.37, while comparable sales are forecast to be between a decline of low single digits and flat, compared to a 3% increase in the previous year.
For the first quarter, earnings per share are expected to be $0.12 - $0.18 and comparable store sales are forecast to fall low double to high single digits.
- Impact of the TPP on the US textile industry?
- Cambodia's future outsourcing prospects uncertain
- JC Penney emphasises new merchandising strategy
- Crystal Group nurtures its caring culture
- Hazardous chemical removal a key industry issue
- Vietnam proposes 15% rise to regional minimum wage
- Cambodia garment workers “dying on the job”
- Hong Kong's Li & Fung reports "solid" H1
- Avery Dennison forms JV with Ningbo Shenzhou
- Accord and Alliance discord over inspections
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey