BURMA: Eyes US$1.5bn from garment exports in 2014
Burma is benefiting from new garment export orders from Europe
The restoration of the European Union's GSP (Generalised System of Preferences) trading privileges helped Burma/Myanmar earn more than US$1.1bn from garment exports in 2013, just-style has been told.
The GSP benefits were reinstated last July 19 (2013) following political reforms that began in 2011, ending more than half a century of military rule.
"We're seeing a lot of new orders coming in from Europe - from Germany and the UK in particular," Dr U Aung Win, vice-chairman of the Myanmar Garment Manufacturers Association, said.
"Large quantities are also being ordered from the US. I do believe it's realistic that [the clothing and textile sector in] Myanmar will earn US$1.5bn in 2014," he added, echoing an earlier statement by the association's chairman, Myint Soe.
That said, Dr Aung Win noted that South Korea and Japan continue to dominate Myanmar garment export sales for the time being, accounting for a combined 70% of all orders.
And he stressed that Myanmar must address current labour shortages to meet demands for its cut, make and pack (CMP) products.
"It's not only skilled workers we lack, but unskilled ones also. Thirty percent of staff at any given factory are 'helpers' [who carry out basic tasks].
"However there seems to be a new trend of young males opting to work at construction sites instead, because they can earn higher amounts doing more labour intensive work - about MMK5,000 [US$5.18] a day."
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- COMMENT: Skills or new technology?
- UK reshoring hub hit by sweatshop claims
- South Africa to grow grass for recyclable textiles
- Activewear driving US apparel spend
- JC Penney share price falls on Q4 loss
- Sri Lanka and Bangladesh FTA talks underway
- Delta Galil open to M&A as profit grows
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide