TAIWAN: Fabric Exports Continue To Climb
Taiwan's fabric exports continue to boom, with the exception of the unfinished fabrics market, which fell by 13 per cent compared with last year, the Taiwan Economic News reported yesterday.Synthetic fabrics formed the staple of exported fabrics during the first half, with export value of nearly US$1.3bn. The corresponding half-year export volume of 250,000 metric tons also rose to 9 per cent. Woven fabrics from natural and synthetic spun yarn registered half-year export value of US$720m. The corresponding export volume of 99,000 metric tons soared by 4.2 per cent, the Taiwan Economic News said.However it is unclear whether growth will continue to accelerate at the same pace now that China and Southeast Asian countries have cut their prices in a bid to get in on Taiwan's act, Tsai Jin-shy, the Taiwan Textile Federation's director, said earlier this month. "Mainland China and Southeast Asia cut prices in July," said Tsai. He added that the weakness in Southeast Asian currencies also put Taiwan textile products at a disadvantage. Growth has already started to falter, with July's textile exports lagging at 8.1 per cent while increases for all exports stood at 36.5 per cent, commented the Ministry of Finance. Taiwan imported US$234.4m of textile products in July, down 5.8 per cent on-year, compared with July's 41.9 per cent growth in total imports, Ministry sources said.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report