TAIWAN: Fabric Exports Continue To Climb
Taiwan's fabric exports continue to boom, with the exception of the unfinished fabrics market, which fell by 13 per cent compared with last year, the Taiwan Economic News reported yesterday.Synthetic fabrics formed the staple of exported fabrics during the first half, with export value of nearly US$1.3bn. The corresponding half-year export volume of 250,000 metric tons also rose to 9 per cent. Woven fabrics from natural and synthetic spun yarn registered half-year export value of US$720m. The corresponding export volume of 99,000 metric tons soared by 4.2 per cent, the Taiwan Economic News said.However it is unclear whether growth will continue to accelerate at the same pace now that China and Southeast Asian countries have cut their prices in a bid to get in on Taiwan's act, Tsai Jin-shy, the Taiwan Textile Federation's director, said earlier this month. "Mainland China and Southeast Asia cut prices in July," said Tsai. He added that the weakness in Southeast Asian currencies also put Taiwan textile products at a disadvantage. Growth has already started to falter, with July's textile exports lagging at 8.1 per cent while increases for all exports stood at 36.5 per cent, commented the Ministry of Finance. Taiwan imported US$234.4m of textile products in July, down 5.8 per cent on-year, compared with July's 41.9 per cent growth in total imports, Ministry sources said.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- US Q4 in brief – Dillard's, Macy's, Walmart
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar