US: Factory fires prompt new ICG safety audit
Consultancy and compliance group ICG has introduced a “comprehensive” new fire safety audit following a spate of deadly factory fires in Bangladesh, Pakistan and China.
The new audit, claimed as the first of its kind for the consumer products manufacturing sector, examines a range of issues including factory exits and fire drills, firefighting equipment, alarms systems, electrical, chemical and dust hazards and dormitory safety.
“There have been four deadly factory fires in the past three months: two in Bangladesh, one in Pakistan and one in China, with over 150 deaths,” said Gil Llanes, ICG CEO.
“Our clients are pulling their hair out in frustration that these fires continue one after the next.
“They asked us to find out exactly what’s going on in their supplier facilities, so we’re starting audits this week on their behalf.”
Steve Jesseph, ICG COO and former CEO of the Worldwide Responsible Accredited Production (WRAP) programme, said that reports suggested there was no fire extinguisher at the scene of the latest fire, and that the only building exit was locked.
“That’s a recipe for disaster,” he said. “The WRAP programme has an excellent fire safety training programme, but until we actually go to the factories and see how well prepared they are – or are not – we don’t know what kind of real training they need, or what kind of remediation needs to be done.”
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- 3D CAD comes of age
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- Big data to help US firms improve clothing fit
- US Q4 in brief – G-III Apparel, Finish Line
- Levi Strauss and ILO probe Cambodia factory death
- Labour rights risk Bangladesh EU trade benefits?
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack