Fall in UK shopper numbers slows in September
Shopping centres fared the best in September
UK retail footfall continued to fall in September, albeit at a slower pace than the previous month the latest figures show, with more “attractive” high streets crucial in the countdown to Christmas.
According to the BRC/Springboard Footfall and Vacancies Monitor, shopper numbers were down 0.2% year-on-year in September, but marked an improvement from August's 1.6% fall.
Both high streets and shopping centres reported declines, falling 1.4% and 1.3% respectively. However, BRC said excluding Easter distortions, this is the high street's best performance in seven months.
Footfall in retail park locations fared the best, increasing 4% year-on-year – the highest figure since January 2014, excluding Easter distortions.
“Retail parks continue to offer shoppers a full leisure experience and are already seeing strong increases in footfall,” said BRC director general Helen Dickinson. “Retailers who have invested in stores in these locations will be hoping the draw remains strong throughout the winter months.”
She added: “Making high streets more attractive for customers will be crucial in the countdown to Christmas and beyond.”
Diane Wehrle, marketing and insights director at Springboard said perfect seasonal weather is “vital” to high street fashion sales, with over a quarter of retailers the BRC surveyed confirming they bought forward store drops of autumn/winter stock this season.
“Together with the additional bank holiday trading day, this boosted overall sales of outerwear and accessories, including footwear.”
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- JC Penney to close 140 stores amid lower sales
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022