US: Family Dollar Q1 profit slides, lowers outlook
Family Dollar said it was affected by an “intensified” promotional environment
US discounter Family Dollar has booked a drop in first-quarter earnings and lowered its guidance for the full year.
In the three months to the end of November, net profit dropped to US$78m from $80.3m a year earlier.
Family Dollar said it was affected by an "intensified" promotional environment during the period, as well as a decline in customer transactions.
As a result, comparable store sales dropped 2.8%. Total sales increased 3.2% to $2.5bn from $2.4bn a year earlier.
Revenues were affected by a decreased in customer transactions and a slight decrease in the average customer transaction value.
While the top line was pressured, Family Dollar said it expanded gross margin in the period.
The company, however, lowered its earnings expectations for the full year and now expects earnings per diluted share of $3.25 to $3.55, compared with $3.83 in fiscal 2013, which was a 53-week year.
Separately, the company also announced a number of management changes. COO Michael Bloom has left to pursue other interests and a new search is being conducted. The firm has also promoted Jason Reiser, SVP of merchandising to the position of chief merchandising officer.
US discount retailer Family Dollar has appointed supply chain and logistics executive Jeffrey Thomas as its senior vice president of merchandise operations....
US discount retailer Family Dollar is implementing electronic article surveillance (EAS) loss prevention technology across its stores to improve productivity and profitability....
In a bid to identify opportunities to strengthen its value proposition and improve its financial performance, US discounter Family Dollar Stores has announced plans to cut jobs and close around 370 un...
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- VF Corp bullish for second-half growth
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- Columbia Sportswear fined for mislabelled clothing
- “Made in USA” company rapped for deceptive claims
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies