US: Family Dollar Q1 profit slides, lowers outlook
Family Dollar said it was affected by an “intensified” promotional environment
US discounter Family Dollar has booked a drop in first-quarter earnings and lowered its guidance for the full year.
In the three months to the end of November, net profit dropped to US$78m from $80.3m a year earlier.
Family Dollar said it was affected by an "intensified" promotional environment during the period, as well as a decline in customer transactions.
As a result, comparable store sales dropped 2.8%. Total sales increased 3.2% to $2.5bn from $2.4bn a year earlier.
Revenues were affected by a decreased in customer transactions and a slight decrease in the average customer transaction value.
While the top line was pressured, Family Dollar said it expanded gross margin in the period.
The company, however, lowered its earnings expectations for the full year and now expects earnings per diluted share of $3.25 to $3.55, compared with $3.83 in fiscal 2013, which was a 53-week year.
Separately, the company also announced a number of management changes. COO Michael Bloom has left to pursue other interests and a new search is being conducted. The firm has also promoted Jason Reiser, SVP of merchandising to the position of chief merchandising officer.
US discount retailer Family Dollar is implementing electronic article surveillance (EAS) loss prevention technology across its stores to improve productivity and profitability....
In a bid to identify opportunities to strengthen its value proposition and improve its financial performance, US discounter Family Dollar Stores has announced plans to cut jobs and close around 370 un...
US retailer Family Dollar Stores has appointed Brian Hancock to the role of senior vice president of supply chain....
- Garment firms set sights on Vietnam amid TPP talks
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- Changes in China cotton policies cause uncertainty
- Responsive supply chain key to Gap's growth plans
- String traceability tool goes back to basics
- Wage strike by Cambodia garment workers falls flat
- H&M still committed to higher wages and Bangladesh
- Vietnam Q1 textile and garment exports surge 21.9%
- Alliance inspections more than 50% complete
- Adidas supplier factory strike enters second week
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects
- Jeans in Italy