US: Family Dollar Q1 profit slides, lowers outlook
Family Dollar said it was affected by an “intensified” promotional environment
US discounter Family Dollar has booked a drop in first-quarter earnings and lowered its guidance for the full year.
In the three months to the end of November, net profit dropped to US$78m from $80.3m a year earlier.
Family Dollar said it was affected by an "intensified" promotional environment during the period, as well as a decline in customer transactions.
As a result, comparable store sales dropped 2.8%. Total sales increased 3.2% to $2.5bn from $2.4bn a year earlier.
Revenues were affected by a decreased in customer transactions and a slight decrease in the average customer transaction value.
While the top line was pressured, Family Dollar said it expanded gross margin in the period.
The company, however, lowered its earnings expectations for the full year and now expects earnings per diluted share of $3.25 to $3.55, compared with $3.83 in fiscal 2013, which was a 53-week year.
Separately, the company also announced a number of management changes. COO Michael Bloom has left to pursue other interests and a new search is being conducted. The firm has also promoted Jason Reiser, SVP of merchandising to the position of chief merchandising officer.
Family Dollar Stores has rescheduled its meeting at which shareholders will vote on the merger with Dollar Tree....
US retailer Dollar General Corporation has once again extended the deadline for its tender offer to acquire Family Dollar Stores, which has in turn advised shareholders to reject the bid from its riva...
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Kurt Cavano on “the Uberfication of everything”
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- US Q2 in brief: J Crew, Aeropostale, Bebe Stores
- Adidas seeking to resolve shoe supplier dispute
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- H&M offers $1m grant for sustainable innovations
- Adidas files trademark suit against Forever 21
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019