US: Family Dollar Q1 profit slides, lowers outlook
Family Dollar said it was affected by an “intensified” promotional environment
US discounter Family Dollar has booked a drop in first-quarter earnings and lowered its guidance for the full year.
In the three months to the end of November, net profit dropped to US$78m from $80.3m a year earlier.
Family Dollar said it was affected by an "intensified" promotional environment during the period, as well as a decline in customer transactions.
As a result, comparable store sales dropped 2.8%. Total sales increased 3.2% to $2.5bn from $2.4bn a year earlier.
Revenues were affected by a decreased in customer transactions and a slight decrease in the average customer transaction value.
While the top line was pressured, Family Dollar said it expanded gross margin in the period.
The company, however, lowered its earnings expectations for the full year and now expects earnings per diluted share of $3.25 to $3.55, compared with $3.83 in fiscal 2013, which was a 53-week year.
Separately, the company also announced a number of management changes. COO Michael Bloom has left to pursue other interests and a new search is being conducted. The firm has also promoted Jason Reiser, SVP of merchandising to the position of chief merchandising officer.
Family Dollar Stores has rescheduled its meeting at which shareholders will vote on the merger with Dollar Tree....
US retailer Dollar General Corporation has once again extended the deadline for its tender offer to acquire Family Dollar Stores, which has in turn advised shareholders to reject the bid from its riva...
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- Brexit Trade Focus – How a CANZ-UK FTA stacks up
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- EU and US dispute China raw materials duties
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis