USA: Far West And Umbro Terminate Transaction
Yesterday, Far West received notification from Umbro Canada Inc that they had decided not to continue with the proposed sale of Umbro Canada Inc to Far West Industries Inc pursuant to the letter of intent announced in a press release of August 25, 2000.This decision by Umbro comes subsequent to Far West advising them that Far West had received submissions from a group of shareholders representing a majority of the issued shares of the company and prior to a Far West Board meeting scheduled for today to discuss the proposed acquisition. The shareholders had expressed their opposition to the acquisition. "Although the Far West Board had not yet convened an official board meeting, it was the consensus of opinion by the directors of Far West that shareholder approval of the acquisition, which was a condition of closing, was unlikely to be obtained," said Gary Pratt, president of Far West.The board has also received expressions of interest from other companies providing strategic acquisition opportunities, which the board will consider and review in the near future.The corporation also announces the resignation of Russell A. Ker from the board of directors. Mr Ker has served on the Board since June 26, 1992 and as chairman of the board since 1995.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022