USA: Fashion Chain Cato Posts Fall In Q4 Profit
The North Carolina-based operator of more than 1,020 stores reported net income of $9.8 million, or 38 cents per share, compared with $11.2m, or 43 cents, in the year-ago period.
Total sales for the quarter to February 1 climbed to $191m from $185.2m but same-store sales fell four per cent.
For the full year, the company posted net income of $45.8m, or $1.77 per share, versus $43.1m, or $1.66 per share, last year. Sales rose to $732.7m from $685.7m while same-store sales were flat.
For the year ahead, Cato said it plans to open 90 new stores and sees 2003 earnings per share in a range of $1.84 to $1.91 – up 4-8 per cent. It added it expects same-store sales to be flat or up slightly for the majority of the year.
"This was our fourth consecutive year of record earnings and the sixth consecutive year of earnings improvement," said John Cato, president, vice chairman and CEO, in a news release.
"Although we experienced a difficult fourth quarter, earnings per share for the year increased seven per cent on flat comp store sales. We continue to build our company with a controlled growth plan that delivers consistent fashion, quality, and value to our customers and long-term value to our shareholders."
Companies: Cato Corporation
Value women's fashion retailer Cato has appointed Reynolds C Faulkner as the company's new executive vice president, chief financial officer....
Discount clothing retailer The Cato Corporation has appointed Reynolds C Faulkner as its new executive vice president and chief financial officer....
Women's fashion retailer The Cato Corporation posted a strong profits increase despite almost flat sales, the company said....
The following is a general roundup of apparel and shoe chains' February sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available. ...
The following is a general roundup of apparel and shoe chains' January sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available. ...
The following is a general roundup of apparel and shoe chains' November sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
Michael Moore has resigned from his positions of executive vice president, chief financial officer and director of retailer The Cato Corporation....
The following is a general roundup of apparel and shoe chains' August sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Bangladesh tops China as lead cotton importer
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020