US: Fashion footwear retail sales return to growth
Retail sales of fashion footwear in the US returned to growth in 2013, rising 4% to US$41.52bn after a flat 2012, according to information company The NPD Group.
Outdoor and casual footwear recorded the largest value sales growth figures, up 10% and 7% respectively, the company said.
“It’s not surprising to see casual continuing to out-perform dress,” said Marshal Cohen, NPD chief industry analyst.
“The evolution of style from business and dress attire to an ‘anything goes’ look with work attire including a mix of casual and dress has paid off for the casual category.”
Women’s fashion footwear accounted for 57% of the overall market, with sales rising 2% to $23.8bn, while men’s was up 7% to $12.5bn and children’s up 2% to $5.22bn.
Meanwhile, total unit sales were up 4%, led by men’s with a 9% volume rise, while children’s was up 3% and women’s up 2%.
“Men’s fashion footwear styles have hit the mainstream,” said Cohen.
“They aren’t just for fashion-forward shoppers any more.
“This type of momentum means we will continue to see new styles and colours for men that are both versatile and trendy.”
E-commerce purchases accounted for 19% of total sales, rising 16%, with the average price of online purchases higher than those made in-store.
- Why Inditex is "clear winner" in fast fashion
- Brexit blow to global apparel industry confidence
- Sir Philip Green blamed for the collapse of BHS
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- North Face has holistic view on harmful chemicals
- US Q2 in brief - Columbia Sportswear, Rocky Brands
- Vietnam mulls wage freeze to boost competitiveness
- Teijin launches polyester hook-and-loop fastener
- Ananta Group hits back at Bangladesh union claims
- LVMH to sell Donna Karan to G-III for US$650m
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020