US: Fashion footwear retail sales return to growth
Retail sales of fashion footwear in the US returned to growth in 2013, rising 4% to US$41.52bn after a flat 2012, according to information company The NPD Group.
Outdoor and casual footwear recorded the largest value sales growth figures, up 10% and 7% respectively, the company said.
“It’s not surprising to see casual continuing to out-perform dress,” said Marshal Cohen, NPD chief industry analyst.
“The evolution of style from business and dress attire to an ‘anything goes’ look with work attire including a mix of casual and dress has paid off for the casual category.”
Women’s fashion footwear accounted for 57% of the overall market, with sales rising 2% to $23.8bn, while men’s was up 7% to $12.5bn and children’s up 2% to $5.22bn.
Meanwhile, total unit sales were up 4%, led by men’s with a 9% volume rise, while children’s was up 3% and women’s up 2%.
“Men’s fashion footwear styles have hit the mainstream,” said Cohen.
“They aren’t just for fashion-forward shoppers any more.
“This type of momentum means we will continue to see new styles and colours for men that are both versatile and trendy.”
E-commerce purchases accounted for 19% of total sales, rising 16%, with the average price of online purchases higher than those made in-store.
- Speed to market key to Adidas 2020 growth plan
- GAFTI gears up for change in apparel auditing
- SuperGroup to adapt sourcing model for speed
- Apparel software trends 2015: What else to watch?
- Fast Retailing ramps up sustainability efforts
- Transparency call for German apparel firms
- Strike at Adidas and Nike shoe factory in Vietnam
- Myanmar garments to benefit from export strategy
- H&M and Kering trial recycling technology
- Sri Lanka commences GSP+ process with EU
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide